Why was the electric drill invented?
The invention of the electric drill is credited to Arthur James Arnot and William Blanch Brain of Melbourne, Australia who patented the electric drill in 1889. In 1895, the first portable handheld drill was created by brothers Wilhelm & Carl Fein of Stuttgart, Germany.
These are used for drilling a range of sizes of hole and they are very useful especially if machine drills are not available. The hand drill generally holds drill sizes from 1mm to 9mm whilst the brace will hold larger drill bits called 'forstner bits' and 'auger bits'.
- A power drill is an electrical motor that rotates a replaceable drill bit to make a hole in wood, plastic, or metal. Alternately, a screwdriver tip can be installed to turn screws.
- Drill music is a style of trap music originating on the South Side of Chicago. The genre is a prominent feature of Chicago hip hop, and is defined by its dark, grim, violent, nihilistic lyrical content and ominous trap-influenced beats. Media attention and the signing of drill musicians to major labels followed.
- A drilling machine, called a drill press, is used to cut holes into or through metal, wood, or other materials (Figure 4-1). Drilling machines use a drilling tool that has cutting edges at its point.
The impact driver uses both bit rotation and concussive blows to power-drive screws through the thickest, densest woods. The result of this combo is raw, unadulterated power. In fact, impact drivers typically deliver two to three times more turning force (torque) than the average drill/driver.
- The 'Slotted Drive System' means that SDS+ drill bits have slots at the end of the shank which fit into the chuck of an SDS+ drill. In other hammer drills (or percussion drills) the whole chuck will move back and forth.
- Brushless motor technology has been the rage in cordless power tools the last couple of years. In a tool with a brushless motor, the motor adjusts according to the task. The more resistance a drill or saw senses, the more power it draws, and conversely a lack of resistance lessens the pull.
- Hammer drill works when it hammers the drill bit which is rotating. Technically speaking, they pulverize the hard concrete material under the bit as the bit churns into the surface. Practically speaking, the bit cuts into the surface with the help of a vibrating chuck.
Updated: 28th November 2019