Why the project management is important?
Realistic Project Planning. Project management is important because it ensures proper expectations are set around what can be delivered, by when, and for how much. Effective project managers should be able to negotiate reasonable and achievable deadlines and milestones across stakeholders, teams, and management.
Project Control Engineers develop, implement and maintain cost controls on a project, and provide centralized planning and scheduling on many projects. Project Control Engineers are employed in many different industries, including and manufacturing and construction, and their specific duties vary based on the industry.
- There are several types of monitoring in M&E and they include process monitoring, technical monitoring, assumption monitoring, financial monitoring and impact monitoring.
- Process monitoring/ physical progress monitoring.
- Technical monitoring.
- Assumption monitoring.
- Financial Monitoring.
- Impact Monitoring.
- Monitoring tools are used to continuously keep track of the status of the system in use, in order to have the earliest warning of failures, defects or problems and to improve them. There are monitoring tools for servers, networks, databases, security, performance, website and internet usage, and applications.
- Program process monitoring is an assessment of the process of a program or intervention. Process monitoring falls under the overall evaluation of a program. Program evaluation involves answering questions about a social program in a systematic way.
In project management there are three baselines – schedule baseline, cost baseline and scope baseline. The combination of all three baselines is referred to as the performance measurement baseline. A baseline is a fixed schedule, which represents the standard that is used to measure the performance of the project.
- 7.08 Any runner is out when— (a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his baseline to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball.
- A baseline is a group of nearly 20 primary reference points (in five categories: start dates, finish dates, durations, work, and cost estimates) that you can set to record the original project plan when that plan is completed and refined.
- A cost baseline is an approved time phased plan. Once a detailed budget is developed and approved, the project manager should publish this baseline and set it as a point of comparison for actual performance progress. The baseline budget is the tool for measuring how project changes affect our schedule and budget.
The Monitoring and Controlling process oversees all the tasks and metrics necessary to ensure that the approved and authorized project is within scope, on time, and on budget so that the project proceeds with minimal risk. Monitoring and Controlling process is continuously performed throughout the life of the project.
- Purpose. Project status reporting is one element of the project controlling process and project governance. Its purpose is to ensure that the objectives of the project are being met by monitoring and measuring progress regularly to determine variances from the plan.
- In project management terminology, resources are required to carry out the project tasks. They can be people, equipment, facilities, funding, or anything else capable of definition (usually other than labour) required for the completion of a project activity.
- The purpose of project closeout is to assess the project, ensure completion, and derive any lessons learned and best practices to be applied to future projects. Confirming the project has met all sponsor, customer, and stakeholder requirements. Verifying that all deliverables have been delivered and accepted.
Updated: 9th September 2018