Why do batteries drain faster in the cold?
Since the reactions are slowed, less energy is produced and the power output is lowered; with a lower output, the battery cannot keep up with the demand and can go dead, producing no current. (Fun fact: battery drain caused by leakage, on the other hand, occurs more slowly at cooler temperatures than at warmer ones).
Apple suggests 32° Fahrenheit as the lowest operating ambient temperature. When lithium-ion batteries are exposed to cold temperatures, their performance suffers. When cold, a phone battery can drain faster than normal, or it might say it has ample power remaining and then suddenly go dead.
- Best temperature range for Li-ion batteries ( Because most of the smartphones having Li-ion batteries) is 10 degree to 30 degree Celsius. Its operated temperature range is from 0 degree to 45 degree.
- Apple suggests 32° Fahrenheit as the lowest operating ambient temperature. When lithium-ion batteries are exposed to cold temperatures, their performance suffers. When cold, a phone battery can drain faster than normal, or it might say it has ample power remaining and then suddenly go dead.
- Hold down the Sleep button and the Home button for a few seconds until the Apple logo appears, and your phone will restart. After a few moments, it will take you to the lock screen and be up and running as usual. Hold down the Sleep button and the Home button to unceremoniously force your phone to restart.
Nominal battery performance is usually specified for working temperatures somewhere between 20°C and 30°C. The performance and indeed life of a battery can be seriously affected by the onset of extreme temperatures and, despite many consumer beliefs, heat is as big a cause of battery failure as is cold.
- Charging vehicle batteries in cold weather is totally different in the winter. Even deeply discharged battery packs can be completely recharged in a few hours if the only issue is a discharged battery not defective batteries. However, the colder it is outside, the less charge the battery pack wants to accept.
- 11 Tips to Boost Your Android Phone's Battery Life
- See what's sucking the most juice.
- Reduce email, Twitter, and Facebook polling.
- Turn unnecessary hardware radios off.
- Use the extra power saving mode if you have it.
- Trim apps running in the background.
- Dump unnecessary home screen widgets and live wallpaper.
- Turn down the brightness and turn off Automatic Brightness.
- Use battery-saving modes
- Reduce screen brightness. The easiest way to conserve battery life while maintaining full function is to reduce the brightness of the screen.
- Turn off the cellular network or limit talk time.
- Use Wi-Fi, not 4G.
- Limit video content.
- Turn on smart battery modes.
- Use Airplane mode.
Cold batteries hold their charge longer than room temperature batteries; hot batteries don't hold charge as well as room temperature or cold batteries. It's good practice to store unused batteries in a cool location.
- Is the summer heat draining your car battery? OKLAHOMA CITY – Summer heat can drain your car battery in record time. “Any extreme temperature, cold or hot, can be really detrimental to a car's charging system, particularly the battery,” said Jeff Beck, of Beck's Auto.
- In general, alkaline batteries perform very poorly in cold weather. Panasonic's CR123A lithium batteries (PDF) have an operating temperature range of -40° to + 70°C (-40° to 158°F), while Energizer's Ultimate Lithium L91 AA batteries (PDF) have a similar operating temperature range of -40° to 60°C (-40° to 140°F).
- As Duracell's website says: “Alkaline batteries can be safely disposed of with normal household waste.” Energizer confirms that regular batteries are fine to toss in the trash, but says rechargeable batteries should be recycled according to US federal guidelines.
Updated: 29th September 2018