Who was the god of the Inca?
Viracocha was the supreme god of the Incas. He is also known as Huiracocha, Wiraqoca and Wiro Qocha. Considered the creator god he was the father of all other Inca gods and it was he who formed the earth, heavens, sun, moon and all living beings.
The Inca believed that their gods occupied three different realms: 1) the sky or Hanan Pacha, 2) the inner earth or Uku Pacha, and 3) the outer earth or Cay pacha. Inti - Inti was the most important of the gods to the Inca. He was the god of the sun. The emperor, or Inca Sapa, was said to be a descendent of Inti.
- Inca building materials. The Incas used different forms of stone for thier construction projects. They used roughly shaped stones, adobe, finely shaped stones, and mud or clay to smooth the appearence of rough walls(Malpass 57). Inca constructions were most often made of stones collected from fields and laid in mortar.
- In one legend, he was the son of Viracocha. In another, he was brought up from the depths of Lake Titicaca by the sun god Inti. However, commoners were not allowed to speak the name of Viracocha, which is possibly an explanation for the need for three foundation legends rather than just one.
- Because they counted everything a conquered tribe owned, they needed a way to remember everything they had counted. They invented the quipus. The quipus had colored strings tied to a main string. The Inca invented a calendar they called time makers or time watchers.
In the heterogeneous Inca Empire, polytheistic religions were practiced. Some deities, such as Pachamama and Viracocha, were known throughout the empire, while others were localised.
- Astrology was important to their system of beliefs, and so the calendar was invested with religious meaning. The Incas had no system of writing. Instead, they used bundles of cord called quipus to keep their numerical records. The quipu was made up of a horizontal cord with a series of strings suspended from it.
- Francisco Pizarro
- They prayed to their gods everyday. About once a month, the presist's held a huge celebration that was the common peoples day off work! The most important god to the Incas was Inti, the sun god. Incas believed that they were descended from Inti.
The Incas believed that the god Viracocha created the earth, stars, and all living things.They believed that he created the moon and the sun by plucking them from an island in Lake Titicaca. Inti, the god of sun was another important god.
- The Inca lived in the Andes Mountains in South America. Their range stretched from southern Chile through Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador and into southern Colombia.
- Inca Society. The Inca society was a vertical hierarchical organization divided in four social classes. At the top of the stratum was the Sapa Inca, the most powerful person in the empire. Below was the royalty, comprised by the sons of the Sapa Inca and his close relatives.
Updated: 19th September 2018