Who is the Zone diet created for?
What Foods Can You Eat on the Zone Diet?
- Lean beef, pork, lamb, veal and game.
- Skinless chicken and turkey breast.
- Fish and shellfish.
- Vegetarian protein, tofu, other soy products.
- Egg whites.
- Low-fat cheeses.
- Low-fat milk and yogurt.
- The South Beach Diet is a popular fad diet developed by Arthur Agatston and promoted in a best-selling 2003 book. It emphasizes eating high-fiber, low-glycemic carbohydrates, unsaturated fats, and lean protein, and categorizes carbohydrates and fats as "good" or "bad".
- To follow the Ornish Diet: Eat all the beans, legumes, fruits, grains, and vegetables you need to feel full. Eat dairy low- or nonfat dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yogurt in moderation. Only 10 percent of your calories should come from fat.
- A pesco pollo vegetarian avoids red meat but eats chicken and fish. These terms stretch the true definition of a vegetarian, and only the term semi-vegetarian is actually used with much frequency. Lacto ovo vegetarian: A lacto ovo vegetarian diet excludes meat, fish, and poultry but includes dairy products and eggs.
The Zone Diet works on the theory that excess insulin, a hormone that helps control our blood sugar levels, makes us fat and keeps us fat. By closely regulating our blood sugar levels and therefore keeping our levels of insulin in a tight 'zone', the body burns fat more efficiently so that we lose weight.
- Guys who consumed 2.5 or more eggs per week had an 81 percent increased risk for cancer that spread to the organs or caused death compared to men who consumed less than half an egg per week before their diagnosis. (The study didn't look at whether eggs affected the chance of developing prostate cancer in general.)
- Foods to avoid
- fatty beef.
- poultry with skin.
- lard and shortening.
- dairy products made from whole or reduced-fat milk.
- saturated vegetable oils, such as coconut oil, palm oil, and palm kernel oil.
- And some contain plant sterols and stanols, which block the body from absorbing cholesterol.
- Barley and other whole grains.
- Eggplant and okra.
- Vegetable oils.
- Apples, grapes, strawberries, citrus fruits.
- Foods fortified with sterols and stanols.
According to Sears, a food plan with a balanced ratio of carbohydrates (40 percent), protein (30 percent), and fat (30 percent) is the optimal mix for how the human body is genetically programmed, and will allow the body to enter an efficient metabolic state (what he calls "The Zone").
- The Zone Diet, the popular diet by Barry Sears, is also commonly referred to as the 40/30/30 diet. “40/30/30” refers to the proportion of each food group in the diet. In this case, 40% of daily caloric intake comes from carbohydrates, 30% comes from protein, and 30% from friendly fats.
- Weight Watchers isn't so much a diet as a lifestyle-change program. It can help you learn how to eat healthier and get more physical activity, so you lose the weight for good. You can follow the plan online on your own. You'll track your food choices and exercise, chart progress, and find recipes and workouts.
- The Zone Diet was developed more than 30 years ago by Dr. Barry Sears, an American biochemist. His best-selling book The Zone was published in 1995.
Updated: 26th October 2019