Which way is a row and column?
Rows are the steps - they go left to right and are numbered 1,2,3, Columns are the columns - they go up and down and are lettered A,B,C, Cells are defined by the row and column they are in. Then the columns tell you what type of data you have about each person, like name, age, address, amount, etc.
Row and Column Basics. MS Excel is in tabular format consisting of rows and columns. Each row is identified by row number, which runs vertically at the left side of the sheet. Each column is identified by column header, which runs horizontally at the top of the sheet.
- Fill a column with a series of numbers
- Select the first cell in the range that you want to fill.
- Type the starting value for the series.
- Type a value in the next cell to establish a pattern.
- Select the cells that contain the starting values.
- Drag the fill handle across the range that you want to fill.
- Click the [Page Layout] tab > In the "Page Setup" group, click [Print Titles].
- Under the [Sheet] tab, in the "Rows to repeat at top" field, click the spreadsheet icon.
- Click and select the row you wish to appear at the top of every page.
- Press the [Enter] key, then click [OK].
- 1. A column is a vertical series of cells in a chart, table, or spreadsheet. Below is an example of a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet with column headers (column letter) A, B, C, D, E, and F. As you can see from the picture below, column H is the highlighted column in red and the selected cell D8 is in column D.
Updated: 2nd October 2019