Which statins are less likely to cause muscle pain?
In this regard, it is interesting to note that in the PRIMO study, the most hydrophilic statins (pravastatin and fluvastatin) were least likely to cause myalgia, whereas simvastatin, the most lipophilic one, was most likely to be associated with muscular adverse effects (4).
In the analysis of 135 previous studies, which included nearly 250,000 people combined, researchers found that the drugs simvastatin (Zocor) and pravastatin (Pravachol) had the fewest side effects in this class of medications. They also found that lower doses produced fewer side effects in general.
- 2.1. Liver toxicity of statins
Meta-analysis Number of studies Treatment type and dosage (mg/day) Dale KM  9 High dose: Atorvastatin 80 Simvastatin 40–80 Lovastatin 76 Low dose: Simvastatin 20–40 Pravastatin 40 Atorvastatin 10 Lovastatin 4
- Red yeast rice, which contains a naturally occurring statin, should not be combined with prescription statin drugs without medical supervision. Berberine should be avoided or used with caution when taking certain statin drugs, such as atorvastatin (Lipitor), lovastatin (Mevacor) and rosuvastatin (Crestor).
- Very rarely, statins can cause life-threatening muscle damage called rhabdomyolysis (rab-doe-my-OL-ih-sis). Rhabdomyolysis can cause severe muscle pain, liver damage, kidney failure and death. The risk of very serious side effects is extremely low, and calculated in a few cases per million of patients taking statins.
Dr. Brinton: Fluvastatin and pravastatin each appears to have fewer drug-drug interactions than other statins. Although some clinicians have felt that the safety of pravastatin was primarily due to its water solubility, the other water-soluble statin, rosuvastatin, has yet to be fully proven as safe.
- The FDA warns on statin labels that some people have developed memory loss or confusion while taking statins. These side effects reverse once you stop taking the medication. There is limited evidence to prove a cause-effect, but talk to your doctor if you experience memory loss or confusion while taking statins.
- Medical experts advise not drinking any alcohol while taking statins. If you do drink, though, then it needs to be kept at a moderate level. The primary reason for this would be because drinking a large volume of alcohol while taking statins can drastically increase the risk of side effects.
- The Most Common Cholesterol Meds: Statins
- Atorvastatin (Lipitor)
- Fluvastatin (Lescol)
- Pitavastatin (Livalo)
- Pravastatin (Pravachol)
- Rosuvastatin calcium (Crestor)
- Simvastatin (Zocor)
Updated: 22nd October 2018