Which herbs go with roast beef?
Ingredients Serves: 6
- 1 lean boned beef rib joint, about 900g (2lb), rolled and tied.
- good pinch of freshly ground black pepper.
- 40g (1 1/2oz) fresh herbs, such as parsley, basil, sage, rosemary, thyme and chives, or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs.
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 3 cups mixed mushrooms, thickly sliced.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons marjoram, fresh, chopped.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme, fresh, chopped.
- It's the hard herbs that are best suited to a long slow cook. These are also the herbs that suit the flavour of a beef stew best: a couple of fresh or dried bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, oregano and sage. You could use parsley stalks if you happened to have any.
- Leafy herbs add life to any dish, but a vegetable soup can really use a boost from bay, thyme, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, or even a handful of chopped parsley. Fresh herbs perk up vegetables, and a nutty grain like the wheat berries I tossed into my soup pot turn a forgettable soup into a savory meal.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place beef, potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/2 cup stew broth.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano.
- 1 tablespoon dried basil.
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary.
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley.
- 1 tablespoon salt.
- 2 tablespoons black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons paprika.
- Moral of the story: If you've got the time, salt your meat for at least 40 minutes and up to overnight before cooking. If you haven't got 40 minutes, it's better to season immediately before cooking. Cooking the steak anywhere between three and 40 minutes after salting is the worst way to do it.
- If you want to give your steak a not-so-average rub, try this flavorful blend of spices and seasonings:
- 4 teaspoons salt, or to taste.
- 2 teaspoons paprika.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper.
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder.
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander.
- Perishable foods should never be thawed on the counter, or in hot water and must not be left at room temperature for more than two hours. When thawing frozen food, it's best to plan ahead and thaw in the refrigerator where it will remain at a safe, constant temperature — at 40 °F or below.
Updated: 4th December 2019