Which crop is the largest production in India?
Even so, rice is the most cultivated crop in India. India is the world's second-largest producer of rice, behind China. Rice was cultivated on an area of around 32.5 million hectares during the fiscal year 2002-2003.
The major crops in India can be divided into four categories viz. Food grains (Rice, Wheat, Maize, Millets and Pulses), Cash Crops (Cotton, Jute, Sugarcane, Tobacco, and Oilseeds), Plantation Crops (Tea, Coffee, Coconut and, Rubber) and Horticulture crops such as Fruits and Vegetables.
- Asia is noted for several plantation cash crops, of which the most important are tea, rubber, palm oil, coconuts, and sugarcane. Jute, a commercial fibre, though it has decreased in significance, remains a major export crop of Bangladesh.
- Cash crops are plants grown or managed, harvested and sold for cash rather than for sustenance. The principal subsistence crops are the staple crops like rice, corn, root and tuber crops and some pulses. However, they are also often marketed, partly or in whole.
- food crop in British. (fuːd kr?p) a crop, such as rice or wheat, that is grown for human consumption. His wife augmented the family income by growing food crops for sale.
Categories of Crops in India
- Food Crops (Wheat, Maize, Rice, Millets and Pulses etc.)
- Cash Crops (Sugarcane, Tobacco, Cotton, Jute and Oilseeds etc.)
- Plantation Crops (Coffee, Coconut, Tea, and Rubber etc.)
- Horticulture crops (Fruits and Vegetables)
- The primary purpose of ploughing is to turn over the upper layer of the soil, bringing fresh nutrients to the surface, while burying weeds and the remains of previous crops and allowing them to break down. As the plough is drawn through the soil it creates long trenches of fertile soil called furrows.
- Uttar Pradesh. The state of Uttar Pradesh is the largest producer of wheat, accounting for over 34 per cent of the wheat produced in India. It has the largest area under wheat. It is grown in almost every part of the state; but the greatest concentration is in the western part.
- In terms of agricultural contribution, some of the most developed states in India are:
- Uttar Pradesh.
- Madhya Pradesh.
- Andhra Pradesh.
- West Bengal.
Rice in 2012 was the most valuable agricultural crop in the world. It was second to maize (corn) in the quantity produced of cereal products. This rice field is in Cambodia.
- By 1973 soybeans were the United States' "number one cash crop, and leading export commodity, ahead of both wheat and corn".
- followed by Florida, Idaho, Arizona, and Washington. The top states in harvested acres of vegetables used for processing are California, Washington, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Idaho. The five largest fresh market crops in terms of acreage are potatoes, lettuce, sweet corn, watermelon, and toma- toes.
- Potatoes remain the top vegetable crop in the United States. They are grown commercially in 30 states, but Idaho grows more potatoes than any other state, followed by Washington. Wisconsin, Colorado and North Dakota are also leading producers of potatoes.
Updated: 21st November 2019