Which crop is mostly grown in India?
The major crops in India can be divided into four categories viz. Food grains (Rice, Wheat, Maize, Millets and Pulses), Cash Crops (Cotton, Jute, Sugarcane, Tobacco, and Oilseeds), Plantation Crops (Tea, Coffee, Coconut and, Rubber) and Horticulture crops such as Fruits and Vegetables.
Categories of Crops in India
- Food Crops (Wheat, Maize, Rice, Millets and Pulses etc.)
- Cash Crops (Sugarcane, Tobacco, Cotton, Jute and Oilseeds etc.)
- Plantation Crops (Coffee, Coconut, Tea, and Rubber etc.)
- Horticulture crops (Fruits and Vegetables)
- India, China, and Bangladesh are the three major producers in the cultivation or production of jute fiber. India has taken advantage of recent improvements in the cultivation of jute to become the largest producer or cultivator of jute in the world.
- Most can be planted or sown directly outdoors to ensure that your winter vegetable garden is fully stocked.
- Onions and Shallots. Autumn planting onion sets are easy to grow and will virtually look after themselves over winter.
- Spring Onions.
- Perpetual Spinach.
- Broad Beans.
- Winter Salads.
- On the basis of seasons, the crops in India have been divided into Rabi, Kharif and Zaid crops.
- Rabi, Kharif and Zaid Crops in India. Kharif crops. Rabi Crops. Zaid Crop.
- Food grains. Rice. Wheat: Coarse Cereals / Millets. Pulses.
- Cash Crops. India's Sugarcane Production. Cotton. Groundnut.
- Plantation Crops. Tea. Coffee.
Even so, rice is the most cultivated crop in India. India is the world's second-largest producer of rice, behind China. Rice was cultivated on an area of around 32.5 million hectares during the fiscal year 2002-2003.
- Raja Ram Mohan Ray
- Map of Top 10 Coconut Producing States
Rank States Area 1 Tamil Nadu 465.1 2 Karnataka 513.1 3 Kerala 798.2 4 Andhra Pradesh 128.9
- The summer pulses are being grown as a bonus crop in the states like Punjab,Haryana, Western Utter Pradesh, Bihar and recently in Madhya Pradesh as solo crop and intercrop with sugarcane and other crops.
Rice in 2012 was the most valuable agricultural crop in the world. It was second to maize (corn) in the quantity produced of cereal products. This rice field is in Cambodia.
- By 1973 soybeans were the United States' "number one cash crop, and leading export commodity, ahead of both wheat and corn".
- The largest US crop in terms of total production is corn, the majority of which is grown in a region known as the “corn belt”. The second largest crop grown in the US is soybeans. As with corn, soybeans are primarily grown in the Midwestern states.
- The three most important food crops in the world are rice, wheat, and maize (corn). The three cereal grains directly contribute more than half of all calories consumed by human beings.
Updated: 21st November 2019