What year did slavery end in Jamaica?
Emancipation. Because of the loss of property and life in the 1831 Baptist War rebellion, the British Parliament held two inquiries. Their reports on conditions contributed greatly to the abolition movement and passage of the 1833 law to abolish slavery as of August 1, 1834, throughout the British Empire.
|1761||Slavery abolished in mainland Portugal|
|1802||Slavery reintroduced in French Colonies|
|1803||Slave trading abolished in Denmark|
|1807||Slave trading abolished by Britain and United States|
|1811||Slavery abolished in Spain and Spanish Colonies (violently opposed in Cuba and unenforced)|
- Revolutionary France abolished slavery in France's colonies in 1794, although it was restored by Napoleon with the Law of 20 May 1802 as part of a program to ensure French sovereignty over its colonies. Haiti formally declared independence from France in 1804 and brought an end to slavery in its territory.
- In 1619 twenty Africans were brought to the English colony of Jamestown, Virginia. Historians are undecided if the legal practice of slavery began there, since at least some of them had the status of indentured servant. Alden T. Vaughn says most agree that both Negro slaves and indentured servants existed by 1640.
- It was in 1794 that the Convention passed a law to free all slaves in French overseas possessions. But this lasted only for 10 years because when Napoleon Bonaparte became the emperor of France in 1804, he reintroduced slavery. In 1848, Slavery was finally abolished in French colonies.
Slavery was abolished in British Caribbean colonies from 1834, though slaves were forced to undertake a further 4 year period of apprenticeship before they were finally freed. The achievement of freedom is thus dated from 1 August 1838. Brazil was again the last country to emancipate all its slaves in 1888.
- Latin America came to fruition in the 1500's after European “discovery” of the New World. Countries such as Spain, France and Portugal colonized the region. Although most of Latin America was colonized by Spain, the countries of Portugal and France also had major influences on the region.
- In July 1833, a Bill to abolish slavery throughout the British Empire passed in the House of Commons, followed by the House of Lords on 1st August. There has been a lot of debate over the factors that contributed to the final success of the bill: A change in economic interests.
Updated: 18th September 2018