What size generator to run 15 000 BTU air conditioner?
Buying a Portable RV Generator
|Size of Air Conditioner||Approximate Starting Watts||Approximate Running Watts|
If we installed this product, it should allow us to run our A/C using the inverter without spiking past the inverter's 40a max. You will not do any harm to the lithium batteries by running the RV air conditioner. As long as the battery has ample charge you can run the AC for hours.
- Best Rooftop RV Air Conditioner
- Coleman 15k Upper Unit White 48204C966.
- Dometic Brisk Air II 13,500 BTU Complete.
- Dometic Penguin Low Profile Rv Ac.
- Coleman Mach 8 Cub Low Profile.
- Coleman Mach III Power Saver RV.
- Mach 8 15k Air Conditioner 47024A879.
- Dometic 641916 15,000 BTU Penguin AC.
- Atwood 15027 Ducted A/C Unit.
- The Electrical Basics. An inverter is part of a 12-volt DC system. If you have a 5-amp window air conditioner, you will need 55 amps of DC power to run the unit continuously. However, all electrical appliances have a starting surge that gets the motor running.
- A typical 2-ton central air unit that puts out 24,000 BTUs will draw between 15 and 20 amps.
Below is a breakdown of the cost to operate an in-room air-conditioning unit for a day and for a month. In general, the higher the BTU rating, the more electricity your unit will pull. And, of course, the energy draw will vary by make and model. 6,000 BTU Air Conditioner (approximately 560 watts)
- As you can see , an AC with 1 Ton capacity will have a number 12 written in the model Code. Suppose you have a 1 Ton capacity Air-Conditioner , then a 12,000 BTU (or 1 Ton) type AC typically uses about 1200 watts of electricity.
- At a cost of $0.134 per kWh, this amounts to $120.60 per month. A large 12,000 BTU air conditioner, like that in a window, running six hours each day will consume 270 kWh, at a cost of $36.26 per month.
- Air Conditioner Sizing Tutorial. How much air conditioner BTU's I need?
Room Size Square Footage Recommended BTU Range 17'X20' 340 8000 20'X20' 400 9000 18'X25' 450 10000 22'X25' 550 12000
At a cost of $0.134 per kWh, this amounts to $120.60 per month. A large 12,000 BTU air conditioner, like that in a window, running six hours each day will consume 270 kWh, at a cost of $36.26 per month. A smaller 6,500 BTU room air conditioner will consume 144 kWh at a cost of $19.34 per month.
- Central Air Conditioner – 3500 Watts. Large Window Units – 1440 Watts. Medium Window Units – 900 Watts. Small Window Units – 500 Watts.
- The air conditioner EER is its British thermal units (BTU) rating over its wattage. For example, if a 10,000-BTU air conditioner consumes 1,200 watts, its rating is 8.3 (10,000 BTU/1,200 watts). The higher the rating is, the more efficient the air conditioning unit is.
- Wattage Chart
Motorhome 5th Wheel and Camp Trailer Roof Top Air Conditioners Watts Required for start up Average wattage once running 7000 btu RV air conditioner 1700 600 10,000 btu RV air conditioner 2000 700 13,500 btu RV air conditioner 2750 1250 15,000 btu RV air conditioner 3500 1500
Updated: 9th October 2018