What medications should not be taken with Xarelto?
Adverse Medication Interactions Involving Xarelto
- Other blood thinners like warfarin (Coumadin), clopidogrel (Plavix), etc.
- Medications used to treat blood and circulation problems like cilostazol (Pletal), etc.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (Advil), naproxen (Aleve), aspirin, etc.
No, you cannot take ibuprofen while taking Xarelto. People who take Xarelto must be careful avoid over-the-counter pain relievers because they can cause you to bleed. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
- XARELTO® also has fewer drug-drug interactions than warfarin. But like all blood thinners, you have a higher risk of bleeding if you take XARELTO® with other medicines, like aspirin, NSAIDs, warfarin, heparin or clopidogrel, that increase your risk of bleeding.
- You can take paracetamol while you're taking rivaroxaban. Do not take aspirin and ibuprofen while you're taking rivaroxaban unless a doctor has said it's OK to. They increase the chance of bleeding.
- Safe Medications to Take While Pregnant
- Safe to take: Regular and extra-strength Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Safe to take: Metamucil, Colace, Citracel, Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax.
- Safe to take: Tums, Maalox, Mylanta, Pepcid.
- Safe to take: Penicillin.
- Safe to take: Monistat, Gynelotrimin.
Blood thinners are usually given to people at risk for developing blood clots from conditions such as abnormal heart rhythms. Use of these lifesaving medications requires caution with other drugs, especially painkillers called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve).
- Safe Pain Medications on Warfarin
Generic name Brand name, examples Weaker pain medication Acetaminophen Tylenol Intermediate strength pain medications Tramadol Ultram, Ultracet Codeine sulfate Hydrocodone Lorcet, Lortab, Vicodin
- The newer medications are Pradaxa (dabigatran), Xarelto (rivaroxaban), Eliquis (apixaban), and most recently Savaysa (edoxaban) — which work by preventing pooled blood in the heart from clotting. Unlike warfarin, the newer drugs are safer and easier for patients to use.
- WoundSeal Powder is specially developed to stop bleeding for people on blood thinners because it doesn't rely on the normal clotting factors in your blood. It forms an instant seal (or scab) over the wound in seconds. The seal is safe to leave in place until it falls off naturally and the wound heals.
Updated: 16th October 2019