Spray wrought iron with a primer made specifically for metals, such as True Value X-O. Rust rust-inhibiting primer. Aerosol primer and paint often provide the best, smoothest coverage results on metal, however; it may be necessary in some areas to apply metal primer with a brush. For best results, apply two coats.
Moreover, what paint to use for metal railings?
To paint metal handrails:
- Use a wire brush to remove any loose or peeling paint.
- Spray with a rust inhibiting primer.
- Apply two coats of oil based enamel (cans of spray paint work best).
How do you get the shine back on wrought iron?
- Make up a mixture of 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1 liter (0.3 US gal) of water.
- Sponge the wrought-iron furniture with this mixture.
- Allow to dry. Wipe down with a soft cloth. The wrought-iron should look a lot better.
What is rust inhibiting primer?
Rust-Inhibiting and Anti-Corrosive Metal Primers. When looking for a rust-inhibiting metal primer, please check that the product states clearly that it offers this. Rust-Oleum metal primers are typically rust-inhibiting. Steel, one of the most common materials primers are used on, is a ferrous metal.