If you find circulated 1776-1976 quarters either with no mintmark (those were made in Philadelphia) or the "D" (Denver) mintmark in pocket change, they're worth face value – 25 cents. If you find a 1776-1976 quarter with an "S" (San Francisco) mintmark, it's either a proof specimen or a 40% silver Bicentennial quarter.
Which coins are most valuable?
The Ultimate List of Valuable Coins
- 1913 Liberty Head V Nickel $4,408,650.
- 1870 S Liberty Seated Dollar $1,959,995.
- 1927 D St Gaudens Double Eagle $1,200,000.
- 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar $825,098.
- 1838 O Capped Bust Half Dollar $745,000.
- 1933 Indian Head Gold Eagle $600,000.
- 1817 Capped Bust Half Dollar $500,000.
What pennies are worth a lot of money?
So for the past 30 years, pennies have been made with an alloy comprised of 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper, but pennies minted before 1982 are 95% copper and 5% zinc. The price of copper has more than quadrupled over the past 10 years. So a penny produced before 1982 is worth 2.2 cents based on the metal it contains.