What is the purpose of sulfuric acid in the synthesis of aspirin?
In this experiment, Le Chȃtelier's principle and esterification of the phenolic hydroxyl group of salicylic acid will be used to synthesize aspirin. This reaction uses an excess of acetic anhydride, sulfuric acid as a catalyst, and heat to push the equilibrium toward the products.
The Extreme Health Hazards Associated with Sulfuric Acid. Concentrated sulfuric acid is extremely corrosive and can cause serious burns when not handled properly. This chemical is unique because it not only causes chemical burns, but also secondary thermal burns as a result of dehydration.
- Sulfuric acid will exist as particles or droplets in the air if released to the atmosphere. It dissolves when mixed with water. It has moderate acute (short-term) toxicity on aquatic life. Sulfuric acid is very corrosive and would badly burn any plants, birds or land animals exposed to it.
- Acid Spills (hydrochloric or sulfuric acid): 1. Neutralize spill with sodium bicarbonate/baking soda 2. Wait until bubbling/fizzing has stopped 3.
- However, fires may result from the heat generated by contact of concentrated sulfuric acid with combustible materials. Sulfuric acid reacts with most metals, especially when diluted with water, to produce hydrogen gas which can accumulate to explosive concentrations inside confined spaces.
Sulphuric acid has a great affinity for water. It readily removes elements of water from other compounds i.e, it acts as a dehydrating agent, it being a hygroscopic substance absorb water from other substances without dissolving in it,so it is considered a good dessicating or drying agent.
- It's the dehydration of sugar (sucrose) with sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid removes water from the sugar in a highly exothermic reaction, releasing heat, steam, and sulfur oxide fumes. Aside from the sulfurous odor, the reaction smells a lot like caramel.
- A drying agent is a chemical used to remove water from an organic compound that is in solution. In making or isolating chemical compounds they often become contaminated with water. Drying agents can also be solid like Calclium chloride, Potassium chloride, or Magnesium sulfate.
- Dehydration synthesis is the process of joining two molecules, or compounds, together following the removal of water. When you see the word dehydration, the first thing that may come to mind is 'losing water' or 'lacking water.' Dehydration synthesis is classified as a type of chemical reaction.
Updated: 26th October 2019