What is the purpose of public health?
Public health refers to all organized measures (whether public or private) to prevent disease, promote health, and prolong life among the population as a whole. Its activities aim to provide conditions in which people can be healthy and focus on entire populations, not on individual patients or diseases.
The focus of a public health intervention is to prevent and manage diseases, injuries and other health conditions through surveillance of cases and the promotion of healthy behaviors, communities and environments.
- Public Health Occupations - Wages, Employment, and Projections
Public Health Occupation AVG Salary % Growth by 2022 Epidemiologists $74,120 10.2% Community Health Workers $38,180 25.1% Environmental Scientists and Specialists $72,050 14.6% Health Educators $55,260 19%
- The responsibility of local health departments is to protect and promote health, and prevent disease and injury. To accomplish this mission, public health departments balance three core government public health functions. These functions are essential to the maintenance of population-based services.
- A Guide to Public Health Careers Industries and Sectors That Attract Public Health Professionals. Careers in public health go well beyond working in neighborhood clinics and promoting healthy living initiatives. A degree in the field can lead to jobs in law enforcement, education, public policy and so much more.
The work of public health professionals is important because public health initiatives affect people every day in every part of the world. It addresses broad issues that can affect the health and well-being of individuals, families, communities, populations, and societies—both now, and for generations to come.
- Health educators teach people about behaviors that promote wellness. They develop and implement strategies to improve the health of individuals and communities. Community health workers collect data and discuss health concerns with members of specific populations.
- Continue reading to discover 7 reasons to choose a Healthcare career.
- Job growth and stability.
- Jobs are available for all education and experience levels.
- Competitive earning potential.
- The healthcare field is fast-paced and exciting.
- The ability to make a difference in people's lives.
- These following 10 essential services serve as the framework of the local public health system assessment we are conducting.
- Monitor health status to identify community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
The Affordable Care Act established the Prevention and Public Health Fund to provide expanded and sustained national investments in prevention and public health, to improve health outcomes, and to enhance health care quality.
- Medicaid is considered government sponsored insurance. It is not marketplace insurance. If you have Medicaid you do not need marketplace insurance.
- Medicaid is a government program and Obamacare plans are offered through private health insurance companies. The word "Obamacare" is used to describe polices obtained through an Affordable Care Act (ACA) health exchange. In fact, if you qualify for Medicaid, the health exchange will forward your info to Medicaid.
- Qualifying Life Event (QLE) A change in your situation — like getting married, having a baby, or losing health coverage — that can make you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, allowing you to enroll in health insurance outside the yearly Open Enrollment Period. There are 4 basic types of qualifying life events.
Updated: 2nd October 2019