What is the Oscar holding?
A stylized figure of a knight holding a crusader's sword standing on a reel of film with five spokes signifying the five original branches of the Academy (actors, directors, producers, technicians and writers).
According to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the origins of the name are uncertain, but "a popular story has been that an Academy librarian and eventual executive director, Margaret Herrick, thought it resembled her Uncle Oscar and said so; and that the Academy staff began referring to it as Oscar."
- Possibly means "deer friend", derived from Gaelic os "deer" and cara "friend". Alternatively, it may derive from the Old English name OSGAR or its Old Norse cognate ÁSGEIRR, which may have been brought to Ireland by Viking invaders and settlers.
- It's been said that Academy librarian and eventual executive director Margaret Herrick thought the statue resembled her Uncle Oscar. In 1934, Sidney Skolsky used the name in his Hollywood column to describe Katharine Hepburn's first best actress win. The Oscar was first officially named the Academy Award of Merit.
- English Meaning: The name Oscar is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear; God's spear. Famous Bearer: poet Oscar Wilde (1854-1900), who was put on trial and imprisoned for homosexuality.
A Grammy Award (stylized as GRAMMY, originally called Gramophone Award), or Grammy, is an award presented by The Recording Academy to recognize achievement in the music industry.
- First Rap Grammy Award given. *On this date in 1989, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince won the first Rap Grammy Award. This honor was for the hit single “Parents Just Don't Understand, conceived by Clarence Holmes.”
- The award is named after Antoinette Perry, nicknamed Tony, an actress, director, producer and co-founder of the American Theatre Wing, who died in 1946. At the initial event in 1947, as he handed out an award, he called it a Tony. The name stuck."
- This marks The Grammy Awards' first return to New York City in 15 years. The 40th annual ceremony were held at Madison Square Garden in 1998 and the 39th Annual Grammy Awards, also held in New York, were held at Radio City Music Hall. The 14 years in between were held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
The Oscar is said to be modeled after Mexican actor and director Emilio Fernandez. The 8-pound, 24-carat-gold-plated statuette that will be handed out at the Academy Awards Sunday night is said to be modeled after a real man. It might be Emilio, Emilio "El Indio" Fernandez.
- Oscar or Oskar is a masculine given name derived from either Irish or Proto-Germanic.
- Archie feels like a nickname to you now because its a recurrance of an old name that used to aalways be short for Archibald. BUT its become quite popular now in its own right and nearly ALL the recent Archies are just Archie rather than Archibald.
- The story climaxed with Jellybean's birth in Jughead #50. Jellybean was officially named Forsythia after her older brother, whose real name is Forsythe. Jughead dislikes the name in any form, and continues the family tradition of referring to the person only by his/her nickname by calling the baby "Jellybean".
Updated: 29th September 2018