What is the old wives tale about your ears ringing?
Have you ever heard the old wives' tale that when you hear ringing in the ears it means that someone, somewhere is talking about you? You know… that if it's ringing in the right ear they are talking good about you. But if it's ringing in the left ear they are talking bad?
IF YOUR EARS RING, SOMEONE IS TALKING ABOUT YOU. Submitter comment: SHE DIDN'T REMEMBER WHERE SHE FIRST HEARD THIS. A BURNING IN YOUR EAR MEANS SOMEONE IS TALKING ABOUT YOU. YOU, RIGHT EAR IS GOOD, LEFT EAR IS BAD.
- n a bell rung to announce a death. Synonyms: death knell Type of: bell. a hollow device made of metal that makes a ringing sound when struck. Many bitter old New Yorkers like myself, mark the shuttering of fiercely adored eateries and bars, as the tolling of the city's death bell.
- IF YOUR EARS RING, SOMEONE IS TALKING ABOUT YOU. Submitter comment: SHE DIDN'T REMEMBER WHERE SHE FIRST HEARD THIS. A BURNING IN YOUR EAR MEANS SOMEONE IS TALKING ABOUT YOU. YOU, RIGHT EAR IS GOOD, LEFT EAR IS BAD.
- Lipoflavonoid is an over-the-counter supplement. It contains ingredients like vitamins B3, B6, B12, and C. Its main active ingredient is eriodictyol glycoside, which is the fancy word for a flavonoid (phytonutrient) found in lemon peels.
Tinnitus (pronounced ti-ni-tis), or ringing in the ears, is the sensation of hearing ringing, buzzing, hissing, chirping, whistling, or other sounds. The noise can be intermittent or continuous, and can vary in loudness. In severe cases, however, tinnitus can cause people to have difficulty concentrating and sleeping.
- Lifestyle and home remedies
- Soften the wax. Use an eyedropper to apply a few drops of baby oil, mineral oil, glycerin or hydrogen peroxide in your ear canal.
- Use warm water. After a day or two, when the wax is softened, use a rubber-bulb syringe to gently squirt warm water into your ear canal.
- Dry your ear canal.
- Ear ringing and other abnormal ear noises is medically called tinnitus. People with tinnitus perceive buzzing, roaring, and pulsitile sounds when no actual sound is present. Tinnitus can arise from problems in any of the four areas responsible for hearing: the outer ear, the middle ear, the inner ear, and the brain.
- The symptoms of tinnitus include a noise in the ears, such as ringing, roaring, buzzing, hissing, or whistling; the noise may be intermittent or continuous. Most of the time, only the person who has tinnitus can hear it (subjective tinnitus).
Updated: 23rd September 2018