What is the normal elevation?
This is a list of United States states by elevation. Elevation means the height of something above sea level. The highest point in the U.S. is Denali at 20,320 feet (6,194 m) above sea level. The lowest point on land in the U.S. is Badwater in Death Valley at 282 feet (86 m) below sea level.
The highest point in South Carolina is Sassafras Mountain at 3,560 feet above sea level. The lowest point in South Carolina is sea level, where South Carolina meets the Atlantic Ocean. The Mean Elevation of the state of South Carolina is 350 feet above sea level.
- For instance, Alaska could be regarded as the highest state because Denali, at 20,310 feet (6,190.5 m), is the highest point in the United States. However, Colorado, with the highest mean elevation of any state as well as the highest low point, could also be considered a candidate for "highest state".
- Dead Sea
- Mount Whitney
At a mean elevation of 6,800 feet above seal level, Colorado has the highest mean altitude of the 50 states. Colorado's low point, 3,315 feet above sea level at the Arikaree River in Yuma County, is the highest low point in the nation and is higher than 18 state high points.
- The point where the Arikaree River flows out of Yuma County, Colorado and into Cheyenne County, Kansas, located at 39°58′41″N 102°03′06″W, is the lowest point in Colorado at an elevation of 3,317 feet (1,011 m).
- To enjoy your visit here in Colorado Springs, here are the top 9 high altitude tips to keep in mind to give your body time to adjust to the altitude and prevent altitude sickness: Stay below 7,000 feet the first day (the city of Colorado Springs is 6,035 feet above sea level.)
- Death Valley, California, USA. This is the lowest, driest, and hottest place in North America. The ancient lakebed which serves as the floor of this graben is 282 feet (86 meters) below sea level and the lowest point is known as 'Badwater.'
- Death Valley.
- Salton Sink, United States [−66 m (−217 ft)]
- New Orleans, Louisiana, United States [−2 m (−7 ft)]
- Laguna Salada, Baja California, Mexico [−10 m (−33 ft)]
- Lake Enriquillo, Dominican Republic [−46 m (−151 ft)], lowest place on an island country.
- Land Area
Rank State Land Area (square miles) All United States 3,537,438.44 1 Alaska 571,951.26 2 Texas 261,797.12 3 California 155,959.34
- The surface and shores of the Dead Sea are 423 metres (1,388 ft) below sea level, making it Earth's lowest elevation on land. 2. The Dead Sea is 377 m (1,237 ft) deep, making it the deepest hypersaline lake in the world.
- The average elevation of the city is currently between 1 foot (0.30 m) and 2 feet (0.61 m) below sea level, with some portions of the city as high as 20 feet (6 m) at the base of the river levee in Uptown and others as low as 7 feet (2 m) below sea level in the farthest reaches of Eastern New Orleans.
Updated: 21st November 2019