What is the name of the phase change from liquid to gas?
|Phase Change||Name||Intermolecular Forces Increase or Decrease?|
|solid liquid||melting or fusion||increase decrease|
|liquid gas||vaporization or evaporation||increase decrease|
|gas solid||deposition||increase decrease|
|gas liquid||condensation||increase decrease|
Let's focus on phase changes that involve materials changing from one state of matter to another. This kind of phase change--liquid to gas--is called evaporation or vaporization. Water vapor can in turn be cooled to form liquid water. This kind of phase change--from gas to liquid--is referred to as condensation.
- Under certain circumstances, gas can transform directly into a solid. This process is called deposition. Water vapor to ice - Water vapor transforms directly into ice without becoming a liquid, a process that often occurs on windows during the winter months.
- Gases, liquids and solids are all made up of atoms, molecules, and/or ions, but the behaviors of these particles differ in the three phases. The following figure illustrates the microscopic differences.
- These are called the states of matter. Matter can change from one state to another if heated or cooled. If ice (a solid) is heated it changes to water (a liquid). This change is called MELTING. If water is heated, it changes to steam (a gas).
The phase change in which a substance changes from a liquid to a gas. The energy a substance must absorb in order to change from a liquid to a gas. The process that changes a substance from a liquid to a gas at temperatures below the substance's boiling point.
- depositionA phase transition in which a gas is converted to solid, without passing though an intermediate liquid phase. It is the reverse process of sublimation.
- Physical Science Chapter 3 State of Matter
A B sublimation The phase change in which a substance changes from a solid to a gas or vapor without changing to a liquid first. deposition The phase change in which a gas or vapor changes directly into a solid without first changing into a liquid.
- The change in state from a solid to a liquid is called melting. Vaporization that takes place only on the surface of a liquid is called evaporation. Boiling- Another kind of vaporization is called boiling. Boiling occurs when a liquid changes to a gas below its surface as well as at the surface.
Updated: 2nd October 2019