What is the name for p4?
Identify compound as ionic or covalent then give proper name
|Chemical Formula||Type of Compound||Compound Name|
|Cu3PO4||ionic||copper (I) phosphate|
Phosphorus is a chemical element with symbol P and atomic number 15. Phosphorus is essential for life. Phosphates (compounds containing the phosphate ion, PO43−) are a component of DNA, RNA, ATP, and phospholipids.
- Elements can be classified based on their physical states (States of Matter) e.g. gas, solid or liquid. This element is a solid. Phosphorus is classified as an element in the 'Non-Metals' section which can be located in groups 14,15 and 16 of the Periodic Table.
- Phosphorus (P) is an essential part of life as we know it. Without the phosphates in biological molecules such as ATP, ADP and DNA, we would not be alive. Phosphorus compounds can also be found in the minerals in our bones and teeth. It is a necessary part of our diet.
- Identify compound as ionic or covalent then give proper name
Chemical Formula Type of Compound Compound Name Cu3PO4 ionic copper (I) phosphate GaO3 ionic gallium oxide S4N2 covalent tetrasulfur dinitride P4 covalent phosphorous
4P means 4 separate atoms of phosphorus ///// P4 means 4 atoms in a molecule of phosphorus. 4 Driving Forces of a chemical reaction.
- 4P means 4 separate atoms of phosphorus ///// P4 means 4 atoms in a molecule of phosphorus. 4 Driving Forces of a chemical reaction.
- Other elements form diatomic molecules when evaporated, but these diatomic species repolymerize when cooled. Heating ("cracking") elemental phosphorus gives diphosphorus, P2. Sulfur vapor is mostly disulfur (S2). The bond in a homonuclear diatomic molecule is non-polar.
- Phosphorus, sulphur, chlorine and argon are simple molecular substances with only van der Waals attractions between the molecules. Their melting or boiling points will be lower than those of the first four members of the period which have giant structures. Phosphorus contains P4 molecules.
After determining how many valence electrons there are in P4, place them around the central atom to complete the octets. The Lewis structure for P4 is more challenging than other Lewis structures because we the Phosphorous atoms are bonded in the shape of a pyramid with a triangular base.
- 7.71 (a) Boiling liquid ammonia requires breaking hydrogen bonds between molecules. Dipole−dipole and dispersion forces must also be overcome. (b) P4 is a nonpolar molecule, so the only intermolecular forces are of the dispersion type. (c) CsI is an ionic solid.
- Following the same logic as before, you will find that the oxygen has four pairs of electrons, two of which are lone pairs. These will again take up a tetrahedral arrangement. This time the bond angle closes slightly more to 104°, because of the repulsion of the two lone pairs.
- Noble Gases usually do not react because they do not tend to gain or lose electrons. Alkali and Alkaline Earth Metals are soft and melt at low temperatures. Semi-metals have properties between metals and nonmetals and can gain or lose different numbers of electrons in reactions.
Updated: 16th October 2019