What is the main ingredient in Benadryl?
|Active ingredient (in each capsule)||Purpose|
|Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg||Antihistamine|
Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine used to relieve symptoms of allergy, hay fever, and the common cold. These symptoms include rash, itching, watery eyes, itchy eyes/nose/throat, cough, runny nose, and sneezing. It is also used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting and dizziness caused by motion sickness.
- Common side effects of Benadryl include:
- disturbed coordination,
- dry mouth/nose/throat,
- USES: Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine used to relieve symptoms of allergy, hay fever, and the common cold. These symptoms include rash, itching, watery eyes, itchy eyes/nose/throat, cough, runny nose, and sneezing. It is also used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting and dizziness caused by motion sickness.
- Seek emergency medical attention if an overdose is suspected. Symptoms of a diphenhydramine overdose include extreme sleepiness, confusion, weakness, ringing in the ears, blurred vision, large pupils, dry mouth, flushing, fever, shaking, insomnia, hallucinations, and possibly seizures.
Experts say skip antihistamines. For people who take an antihistamine such as Benadryl for a cold or allergies, drowsiness is often a welcome side effect. While antihistamines may help you to fall asleep, overall sleep quality is usually not very good, he said.
- Acute kidney injury (AKI) can be caused by a commonly used over-the-counter and prescription medication, diphenhydramine (Benadryl, McNeil). We do not usually think of this drug as a major source of renal impairment, but it can cause problems in some predisposed patients, including elderly populations.
- They have some mild short-term anti-anxiety effects. Benadryl will work in a pinch if you need something without a prescription, but the most commonly used anxiolytic antihistamine is hydroxyzine (“Vistaril”, “Atarax”), which is a bit more powerful and less likely to make you fall asleep.
- For trouble falling asleep: 0.3 to 5 mg of melatonin daily for up to 9 months has been used. For sleeping problems in people with sleep-wake cycle disturbances: 2 mg to 12 mg taken at bedtime for up to 4 weeks has been used.
Updated: 2nd October 2019