The International Style is the name of a major architectural style that developed in the 1920s and 1930s and strongly related to Modernism and Modern architecture. It was first defined by Museum of Modern Art curators Henry-Russell Hitchcock and Philip Johnson in 1932, based on works of architecture from the 1920s.
What are the characteristics of the International Gothic style?
- curving lines.
- figures: elongated, curved. float, not weighted down.
- decorative (patterns, colors) ornate architecture. clothing.
- gold, raised gesso.
- flattened pictorial space.
- small, anecdotal details.
- realism in nature or non-aristocratic figures/elements.
- OVERALL: elegant, otherwordly, escapist, decorative.
Where was De Stijl founded?
Dutch for The Style, Die Stijl was founded in 1917. The artists most recognized with the movement were the painters Theo van Doesburg, who was also a writer and a critic, and Piet Mondrian, along with the architect Gerrit Reitveld.