What is the GSM network?
GSM (pronounced gee-ess-em) is the most popular cell phone standard, and is used internationally, so you've probably heard about it in the context of GSM phones and GSM networks, especially when compared to CDMA. GSM originally stood for Groupe Spécial Mobile but now means Global System for Mobile communications.
GSM phones make use of a SIM card to identify the user's account. The use of the SIM card allows GSM network users to quickly move their phone number from one GSM phone to another by simply moving the SIM card. Currently GSM networks operate on the 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, and 1900MHz frequency bands.
- In the US, Sprint, Verizon and US Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. Most of the rest of the world uses GSM. The global spread of GSM came about because in 1987, Europe mandated the technology by law, and because GSM comes from an industry consortium.
- GSM (Global System for Mobile communication) is a digital mobile telephony system that is widely used in Europe and other parts of the world. GSM uses a variation of time division multiple access (TDMA) and is the most widely used of the three digital wireless telephony technologies (TDMA, GSM, and CDMA).
- Global System for Mobile
A PUK code is a number associated with your Ting GSM X1 SIM card that unlocks your SIM if it's become locked. The PUK code is printed on the credit card sized card that you pop your Ting GSM X1 SIM card out of when you first receive it.
- CDMA vs. GSM. CDMA and GSM are the two radio networks used by wireless carriers and present in cell phones. In the U.S., AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM carriers, while Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers.
- Straight also uses At&t towers. The boxes for those phones have GSM on the front, the verizon ones have CDMA or nothing. It's owned by TracFone. If the phone has a C at the end of the name of the phone (after the number) it works on Verizon.
- no it is not unless you get the phone, which needs to have a sim slot available, carrier unlocked. the straight talk network runs on at&t towers which carries the gsm signal and verizon towers have the cdma signal.
Updated: 6th December 2019