What is the function of the Golgi body in a cell?
The Golgi body is an organelle found in most eukaryotic cells. Also referred to as the Golgi apparatus or the Golgi complex, it's part of the cell's endomembrane system. Proteins are synthesized in the rough endoplasmic reticulum, then they travel to the Golgi body.
Quick look: Golgi apparatus(or complex, or body, or 'the 'Golgi') is found in all plant and animal cells and is the term given to groups of flattened disc-like structures located close to the endoplasmic reticulum.
- The Golgi apparatus is an organelle present in most eukaryotic cells. It is made up of membrane-bound sacs, and is also called a Golgi body, Golgi complex, or dictyosome. The job of the Golgi apparatus is to process and bundle macromolecules like proteins and lipids as they are synthesized within the cell.
- Prokaryotic cells contain a single compartment enclosed within the cell membrane. Prokaryotes lack a defined nucleus (which is where DNA and RNA are stored in eukaryotic cells), mitochondria, ER, golgi apparatus, and so on. In addition to the lack of organelles, prokaryotic cells also lack a cytoskeleton.
- The smooth endoplasmic reticulum, or smooth ER, is an organelle found in both animal cells and plant cells. An organelle is a sub-unit within a cell that has a specialized function. The main function of the smooth ER is to make cellular products like hormones and lipids.
The Golgi apparatus gathers simple molecules and combines them to make molecules that are more complex. It then takes those big molecules, packages them in vesicles, and either stores them for later use or sends them out of the cell. It is also the organelle that builds lysosomes (cell digestion machines).
- This organelle has two major functions. It stores the cell's hereditary material, or DNA, and it coordinates the cell's activities, which include intermediary metabolism, growth, protein synthesis, and reproduction (cell division). Only the cells of advanced organisms, known as eukaryotes, have a nucleus.
- Rough ER is found throughout the cell but the density is higher near the nucleus and the Golgi apparatus. Ribosomes on the rough endoplasmic reticulum are called 'membrane bound' and are responsible for the assembly of many proteins. In the lumen some proteins have sugar groups added to them to form glycoproteins.
- You will find organelles called lysosomes in nearly every animal-like eukaryotic cell. Lysosomes hold enzymes that were created by the cell. The purpose of the lysosome is to digest things. They might be used to digest food or break down the cell when it dies.
Updated: 29th September 2018