What is the difference between factory unlocked and unlocked?
Difference Between Factory Unlocked Phone and Unlocked Phone. A locked phone is tied to one specific carrier and therefore can't be used with other wireless network providers. A factory unlocked phone and unlocked phone can both be used with a SIM card on any network.
An unlocked smartphone is a phone that isn't tied to a specific carrier or contract. Therefore, you have the freedom to shop for the latest phones and plans as often — or as infrequently — as you like.
- Getting an unlocked phone that wasn't specifically made to work with Verizon on its network is tricky. The CDMA/voice issue pretty much ensures you need a device that's made for Verizon. There are a few exceptions. The good news is that all of Verizon's 4G LTE phones come unlocked out of the box.
- What Is an Unlocked Cell Phone or Smartphone? An unlocked cell phone is one that is not tied into a certain carrier's network: It will work with more than one service provider. Most phones are tied – or locked – to a certain cellular carrier, such as Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, AT&T, or Sprint.
- We would like take a moment and explain the difference between a "locked" and "unlocked" cell phone. In the USA Cingular (ATT) and T-Mobile are the 2 large GSM carriers. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA phones which usually don't require a SIM card. First, a locked phone means that it will only work with 1 specific carrier.
Unlocking an iPhone means taking an iPhone that is locked to a specific carrier and making it usable on other carriers. A software unlock is the process by which the iPhone is modified such that the baseband will accept the SIM card of any GSM carrier.
- Before we get to the carriers, however, you should check to see if your phone is locked.
- Find out if your phone is already unlocked. You may not need to request your carrier to unlock your phone.
- Closing caveat.
- All GSM devices are designed so that service is provisioned using a SIM card. With an unlocked device, a GSM smartphone can be reprovisioned and used on another network simply by popping out the old SIM card and putting in a new one from the new carrier. EV-DO is the 3G technology used on CDMA networks.
- Global System for Mobile
Updated: 11th December 2019