What is the difference between assembly and namespace in C#?
System.Data is a namespace, System.Data.DLL (the file) is an assembly. A namespace is a logical grouping of types (mostly to avoid name collisions). An assembly can contain types in multiple namespaces ( System.DLL contains a few), and a single namespace can be spread across assemblies (e.g. System.Threading ).
An assembly is a file that is automatically generated by the compiler upon successful compilation of every .NET application. It can be either a Dynamic Link Library or an executable file. It is generated only once for an application and upon each subsequent compilation the assembly gets updated.
- Difference between exe and dll-1.EXE is an extension used for executable files while DLL is the extension for a dynamic link library. 2.An EXE file can be run independently while a DLL is used by other applications. 3.An EXE file defines an entry point while a DLL does not.
- A satellite assembly is a .NET Framework assembly containing resources specific to a given language. Using satellite assemblies, you can place resources for different languages in different assemblies, and the correct assembly is loaded into memory only if the user selects to view the application in that language.
- A strong name consists of the assembly's identity—its simple text name, version number, and culture information (if provided)—plus a public key and a digital signature. A strong-named assembly can only use types from other strong-named assemblies.
Defined by Microsoft for use in recent versions of Windows, an assembly in the Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) is a compiled code library used for deployment, versioning, and security. There are two types: process assemblies (EXE) and library assemblies (DLL).
- the act of assembling or the state of being assembled. 3. ( Mechanical Engineering) the process of putting together a number of parts to make a machine or other product. 4. ( Mechanical Engineering) machinery a group of mating components before or after fitting together.
- More assemblies can use the same namespace. Explicit definition of a namespace is done in VB.NET with specifications Namespace and End Namespace. It considers an application of type Console Application. A namespace called Formular1; A class called GrupOp which contains two methods: Adun and Imp.
- MSIL stands for Microsoft Intermediate Language. During the compile time , the compiler convert the source code into Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL) .Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL) is a CPU-independent set of instructions that can be efficiently converted to the native code.
An assembly is a collection of types and resources that forms a logical unit of functionality. Each time you create a Microsoft Windows® Application, Windows Service, Class Library, or other application with Visual Basic .NET, you're building a single assembly. Each assembly is stored as an .exe or .dll file.
- GAC is the short version of "Global Assembly Cache". It is a common place in the OS where assemblies that are going to be shared between different applications can be stored. The .NET assemblies are there, for one.
- A school assembly is a gathering of all or part of a school for any variety of purposes, such as special programs or communicating information on a daily or weekly basis. In some schools, students gather to perform a common song or prayer, and to receive common announcements.
- An assembly drawing shows how parts of a product fit together. They are often used to show how to assemble parts of model kits and flat-pack furniture. There are two types: A fitted assembly drawing shows the parts put together, and can be drawn in 2D or 3D.
Updated: 28th November 2019