What is the difference between an organic and inorganic acid?
The main differences between organic and in organic acids . Inorganic acids have no carbon while organic acids do. Organic acids most of them have a biological origin, whereas inorganic acids do not their orgin are from mineral or inorganic compounds.
So what's the difference between these two? The answer is fairly simple. Organic chemistry is the study of molecules that contain carbon compounds. In contrast, inorganic chemistry is the study of all compounds that do NOT contain carbon compounds.
- With some rare exceptions, organic molecules contain carbon atoms that are typically linked to hydrogen, oxygen or nitrogen atoms. Glucose contains six carbon atoms, 12 hydrogen atoms and six oxygen atoms, which makes it and any other carbohydrate an organic compound.
- It is the study of the formation, synthesis, and properties of compounds that do not contain carbon-hydrogen bonds. There are around 100,000 known inorganic compounds, while there are around two million known organic compounds. Examples of inorganic compounds include: Sodium chloride (NaCl): used as table salt.
- NaCl (Sodium chloride) is said to be an inorganic compound as it contains no carbon atom ( it is to be noted that for a compound to be organic it must contain carbon atom as a principal component.)
While organic chemistry is defined as the study of carbon-containing compounds and inorganic chemistry is the study of the remaining subset of compounds other than organic compounds, there is overlap between the two fields (such as organometallic compounds, which usually contain a metal or metalloid bonded directly to
- Organic chemistry is the study of molecules that contain carbon compounds. In contrast, inorganic chemistry is the study of all compounds that do NOT contain carbon compounds. Let's compare two samples to see the difference between an organic and an inorganic compound.
- Friedrich Wöhler
- Organic compounds include carbohydrates, proteins and fats or lipids. All organic molecules contain carbon atoms and they tend to be larger and more complex molecules than inorganic ones.
Updated: 2nd October 2019