What is OTG cable used for?
USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated to USB OTG or just OTG, is a specification first used in late 2001 that allows USB devices, such as tablets or smartphones, to act as a host, allowing other USB devices, such as USB flash drives, digital cameras, mice or keyboards, to be attached to them.
How to Connect with a USB OTG cable
- Connect a flash drive (or SD reader with card) to the full-size USB female end of the adapter. Your USB drive plugs into the OTG cable first.
- Connect OTG cable to your phone.
- Swipe down from the top to show the notification drawer.
- Tap USB Drive.
- Find the file you'd like to share.
- Plug it in. Connect the OTG cable to your phone, then attach the USB Flash Drive. Launch StickMount and then tap OK to mount the drive. You can also choose to have StickMount launch automatically every time a flash drive is connected.
- You can connect using a USB OTG - Y cable (or a simple USB OTG cable if your phone port has enough power). If your hard drive is using NTFS file format, your phone maynot detect it. But you can use ES File Explorer to access it.
- The StickMount app was designed for rooted Android device which lets you safely unplug a USB flash drive on your phone. Though designed with the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 in mind, StickMount is also supposed to work with Honeycomb 3.1+ and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0+.
One can be a Lightning connector for linking with an iPod, iPhone or iPad. The other is a regular USB connector for use with a laptop or desktop PC. You can also move files from your iPhone or iPad into the devices then transfer them to a computer. But that's not all.
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is on. If you can't turn on Bluetooth or you see a spinning gear, restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Then try to pair and connect it again. Make sure that your Bluetooth accessory and iOS device are close to each other.
- Follow these steps to connect a USB drive to the iPad:
- Connect the plug with the USB slot into the iPad.
- Insert a USB drive into the plug's USB slot.
- Navigate to Apple Photos. There will be an option for connected devices or camera in the menu.
- Copy photos/videos directly to the iPad through Apple Photos.
- Navigate to the individual photo or folder of photos you want to transfer to your iPhone and click "Open" to import the photos. Repeat this process until you have added all desired photos to your iTunes library. Connect your iPhone to your computer using the USB connector cable that came with the iPhone.
Updated: 17th October 2018