What is meant by wire and cable?
Wire is a single electrical conductor, whereas a cable is a group of wires swathed in sheathing. The term cable originally referred to a nautical line of multiple ropes used to anchor ships, and in an electrical context, cables (like wires) are used to carry electrical currents.
A DC connector (or DC plug, for one common type of connector) is an electrical connector for supplying direct current (DC) power. Compared to domestic AC power plugs and sockets, DC connectors have many more standard types that are not interchangeable.
- Usually an adapter is a device which is used to interface a DC operable device to an AC utility supply. Usually, small signal electronic gadgets like computers (both desktops and laptops), mobile phones, electronic trimmers etc require a much reduced DC input as compared to what is provided by the power grid.
- A. Type MC cable can be used for service-entrance conductors, feeders and branch circuits in many applications. Section 330.10 of the National Electrical Code includes the general uses permitted for Type MC cable. Many other uses are permitted in other articles for specific applications.
- AC power plugs and sockets are devices that allow electrically operated equipment to be connected to the primary alternating current (AC) power supply in a building. Electrical plugs and sockets differ in voltage and current rating, shape, size and type of connectors.
Stranded wire is good for both. However the single strand wire works better with DC and is rarely used with AC due to the skin effect of AC current. Stranded wires do not get affected by this phenomenon because of their high surface area and low ccross-sectional area.
- Wire is a cross-platform, encrypted instant messaging client created by Wire Swiss. It is available for iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, macOS and Web browser clients. It uses the Internet to make voice and video calls; send text messages, files, images, videos, audio files and user drawings depending on the clients used.
- Stranded wire is good for both. However the single strand wire works better with DC and is rarely used with AC due to the skin effect of AC current. Stranded wires do not get affected by this phenomenon because of their high surface area and low ccross-sectional area.
Maximum current - amps - through a 12V circuit - related to size (AWG) and length of wire
|American Wire Gauge (#AWG)|
|Length (feet)||Maximum Current (amps)|
- Wire Gauge vs. Diameter
AWG gauge Conductor Diameter Inches Ohms per 1000 ft. 14 0.06410 2.5250 15 0.05710 3.1840 16 0.05080 4.0160 17 0.04530 5.0640
- Size and AMP Ratings
NM, TW & UF WIRE SER CABLE 14 AWG - 15 AMPS 8 AWG - 50 AMPS 12 AWG - 20 AMPS 6 AWG - 65 AMPS 10 AWG - 30 AMPS 4 AWG - 100 AMPS 8 AWG - 40 AMPS 2 AWG - 125 AMPS Types of Cord Gauge Size Range Ampacity of Current-Carrying Conductors (amperes) 0 - 50 ft. (0 - 15.2 m) SJT - Service Junior Thermoplastic SJTOW - Service Junior Thermoplastic Oil Resistant Weather-resistant 18 AWG 10 Amps 7 Amps 16 AWG 13 Amps 10 Amps 14 AWG 18 Amps 15 Amps
Updated: 5th October 2018