What is made out of woven fabric?
Woven fabrics are made up of a weft - the yarn going across the width of the fabric - and a warp - the yarn going down the length of the loom. The side of the fabric where the wefts are double-backed to form a non-fraying edge is called the selvedge.
But people have come to confuse 100% cotton with woven. When you think of woven fabrics, think of fabric you'd use to make a quilt or curtains or upholstery. Woven fabric is generally crisp and not stretchy*. It can be as thin as chiffon or as thick as denim. Knit fabric is usually stretchy and supple.
- Stretch jeans are a style of jeans made of stretch denim fabric. Stretch denim is a relatively new type of denim cotton (or cotton/polyester blend) that incorporates a small amount of elastane, a stretchy, synthetic fiber, also known as Spandex, or Lycra, into the fabric.
- Flannel is a soft woven fabric, of various fineness. Flannel was originally made from carded wool or worsted yarn, but is now often made from either wool, cotton, or synthetic fiber.
In knit fabric (left), one continuous yarn is looped repeatedly to create what looks like tiny rows of braids. In woven fabric (right), multiple yarns cross each other at right angles to form the grain, like a basket. When knit fabric is stretched along its width, it will stretch significantly.
- The green Cricut® StandardGrip Cutting Mat is the mat that I use most often. This mat is perfect for cutting medium-weight materials, and it also has the perfect amount of grip that makes for easy removal of your material. The StandardGrip mat is perfect for a wide range of medium-weight materials, including: Cardstock.
- I've cut my fair share of different materials on the Cricut Explore, but not anywhere close to the number that Cricut says it will cut. I've cut paper, vellum, card stock, fabric, felt, vinyl, iron-on vinyl, printable vinyl, printable sticker paper, washi tape, craft foam, leather, and photographs. Pretty good!
- I'm no longer limited to pre-cut products found in the craft store, now I can cut anything I want out of 3-D materials like chipboard, balsa wood, and even thicker woods like Basswood! When you are cutting any heavier or thicker materials, you will need to use a different blade in your Cricut Explore.
In knit fabric (left), one continuous yarn is looped repeatedly to create what looks like tiny rows of braids. In woven fabric (right), multiple yarns cross each other at right angles to form the grain, like a basket. Apply the stretch test. When knit fabric is stretched along its width, it will stretch significantly.
- Denim is a sturdy cotton warp-faced textile in which the weft passes under two or more warp threads. This twill weaving produces a diagonal ribbing that distinguishes it from cotton duck.
- The fabric itself can be anything. Like, a 100% cotton button-front shirt is woven, but a cotton tee shirt is knit. Knits tend to be stretchy (think tee shirts, sweaters) and wovens are not (think button-front shirts and blouses).
Updated: 17th September 2018