What is column name?
Column names. The meaning of a column name depends on its context. A column name can be used to: Declare the name of a column, as in a CREATE TABLE statement. In a GROUP BY or ORDER BY clause, a column name specifies all values in the intermediate result table to which the clause is applied.
In the context of a relational database, a row—also called a tuple—represents a single, implicitly structured data item in a table. In simple terms, a database table can be thought of as consisting of rows and columns. Each column expects a data value of a particular type.
- Ideally both are same, and refer to the data values aligned vertically in a table. But when you are talking in terms of database, then you should use Column, not Field. Similarly horizontally aligned data values in a table are known as Rows or Records, but Row or Rows is the correct term in database language.
- In general, an attribute is a characteristic. In a database management system (DBMS), an attribute refers to a database component, such as a table. It also may refer to a database field. Attributes describe the instances in the row of a database.
- A table cell is one grouping within a chart table used for storing information or data. Cells are grouped horizontally (rows of cells) and vertically (columns of cells). Each cell contains information relating to the combination of the row and column headings it is collinear with.
A column-oriented DBMS (or columnar database management system) is a database management system (DBMS) that stores data tables by column rather than by row. Practical use of a column store versus a row store differs little in the relational DBMS world.
- HBase is a Columnar Database, usually categorized as a NoSQL database. HBase is built on top of Hadoop and shares many concepts with Google's BigData, mainly its data model. In HBase data is stored in tables, being each table composed of rows and column families.
- In computing, a graph database (GDB) is a database that uses graph structures for semantic queries with nodes, edges and properties to represent and store data. A key concept of the system is the graph (or edge or relationship), which directly relates data items in the store.
- Teradata Columnar. Columnar oriented database storage attracts attention for its promise to speed performance by reducing disk I/O and improve data compression. Teradata Columnar is a hybrid row/column capability with the unique capability to store part of a row in column orientation and part in row orientation.
Updated: 2nd October 2019