What is called a group of dog?
A group of dogs is called a pack or kennel. A group of young dogs is called a litter. A group of hounds is called a mute. A group of curs is called a cowardice.
The 34 oddest names for groups of animals
- 1/ A shrewdness of apes.
- A congregation of alligators. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso.
- A cauldron of bats.
- A sloth or sleuth of bears.
- A gang or an obstinacy of buffalo.
- A clowder, clutter, pounce, dout, nuisance, glorying, or a glare of cats.
- An army of caterpillars.
- A caravan of camels.
- A group of squirrels is called a dray or a scurry. The dray or drey specifically refers to the nest or a nest of squirrels and is often employed to describe a mother and her young. Squirrels are relatively solitary animals (i.e. not pack animals) making scurries, somewhat, but not entirely, uncommon.
- One of the collective nouns for a group of alligators is a "Congregation".
- A group of rabbits is known as a colony or nest (or, occasionally, a warren, though this more commonly refers to where the rabbits live). A group of baby rabbits produced from a single mating is referred to as a litter, and a group of domestic rabbits living together is sometimes called a herd.
Animal Collective Nouns
- Lions were traditionally seen as regal and elevated so their group is called a pride. Owls are associated with wisdom so a group of owls is called a parliament. Monkeys form troops, many animal groups are called herds, birds that don't have a specific name for their groupings form flocks, and crows have it really bad.
- Mammals and marsupials
- Apes: a shrewdness.
- Badgers: a cete.
- Bats: a cauldron.
- Bears: a sloth or sleuth.
- Buffalo: a gang or obstinacy.
- Cats: a clowder, pounce or glaring; for kittens: a kindle, litter or intrigue.
- Dogs: a litter (puppies), pack (wild) or cowardice (curs)
- Donkeys: a pace.
- A group of unicorns is called a blessing. Twelve or more cows are known as a "flink." A group of frogs is called an army. A group of rhinos is called a crash.
Scientists have grouped animals into classes to make it easier to study them. There are many different animal classes and every animal in the world belongs to one of them. The five most well known classes of vertebrates (animals with backbones) are mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, amphibians.
- A group of elephants is called a herd or parade.
- A group of dogs is called a pack or kennel. A group of young dogs is called a litter. A group of hounds is called a mute. A group of curs is called a cowardice.
- Well, a pack of bears is called a sleuth or sloth, but pandas are kind of special and get their own collective names to choose from: A bamboo of pandas, An embarrassment of pandas, A cupboard of pandas.
Updated: 6th December 2019