What is automatic transmission fluid used for?
Automatic transmission fluid (ATF), also known as transmission fluid or tranny fluid for short, is the fluid used in vehicles with self-shifting or automatic transmissions. It is typically coloured red or green to distinguish it from motor oil and other fluids in the vehicle.
The rotary machine's output torque is increased by multiplying the torque by the gear ratio, less some efficiency losses. While in many applications gear reduction reduces speed and increases torque, in other applications gear reduction is used to increase speed and reduce torque.
- An idler gear is a gear wheel that is inserted between two or more other gear wheels. The purpose of an idler gear can be two-fold. Firstly, the idler gear will change the direction of rotation of the output shaft.
- The input gear in this gear train has 13 teeth and the idler gear has 21 teeth. Considering only these gears, the gear ratio between the idler and the input gear can be calculated as if the idler gear was the output gear. Therefore, the gear ratio is driven/drive = 21/13 ≈1.62 or 1.62:1.
- In telecommunications, transmission (abbreviations: Tx, Xmit) is the process of sending and propagating an analogue or digital information signal over a physical point-to-point or point-to-multipoint transmission medium, either wired, optical fiber or wireless.
An automatic transmission is essentially an automatic gear shifter. Instead of manually shifting the gears with a clutch on a manual transmission car or a gear shifter on a bicycle, the automatic transmission does everything for you.
- The Best Ways to Destroy Your Transmission
- Overheat your vehicle as often as possible.
- Maintain improper fluid levels.
- Never change the fluid.
- Use the incorrect fluid type.
- Drag race from light to light.
- Always stop abruptly.
- Leave the shift lever in park without the parking brake on.
- Downshift to “brake” at traffic lights.
- The first thing to know is what your transmission is. This is the part of the vehicle that connects to the back of the engine offering power from the engine to the wheels. The transmission uses the power created in the engine to keep the wheels spinning and keep the engine within a certain revolutions per minute range.
- You see it all over the internet: “Rebuilt Transmissions, $799 for most cars”, or articles that talk about the high cost of transmission repair. In the articles you'll read that a reasonable price for rebuilding an automatic transmission might be as high as $1,500.
Updated: 24th September 2018