What is an open file?
open file - Computer Definition. A file, typically a disk file, that has been made available to the application by the operating system for reading and/or writing. All files must be "opened" before they can be accessed and "closed" when no longer required.
It specifies how bits are used to encode information in a digital storage medium. File formats may be either proprietary or free and may be either unpublished or open. Some file formats are designed for very particular types of data: PNG files, for example, store bitmapped images using lossless data compression.
- A path, the general form of the name of a file or directory, specifies a unique location in a file system. A path points to a file system location by following the directory tree hierarchy expressed in a string of characters in which path components, separated by a delimiting character, represent each directory.
- A file is a tool used to remove fine amounts of material from a workpiece. Most are hand tools, made of a case hardened steel bar of rectangular, square, triangular, or round cross-section, with one or more surfaces cut with sharp, generally parallel teeth.
- Change download locations
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top-right, click More Settings.
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Under the 'Downloads' section, adjust your download settings: To change the default download location, click Change and select where you'd like your files to be saved.
A data structure is a specialized format for organizing and storing data. General data structure types include the array, the file, the record, the table, the tree, and so on. Any data structure is designed to organize data to suit a specific purpose so that it can be accessed and worked with in appropriate ways.
- A file that contains records or other elements that are stored in a chronological order based on account number or some other identifying data. A sequential file may be stored on a sequential access device such as magnetic tape or on a direct access device such as magnetic disk. Contrast with random file.
- A source file is a sequence of procedures and functions. An object file is a sequence of bytes organized into blocks that are understandable by the machine. When operating system defines different file structures, it also contains the code to support these file structure.
- In computer science, a tree is a widely used abstract data type (ADT)—or data structure implementing this ADT—that simulates a hierarchical tree structure, with a root value and subtrees of children with a parent node, represented as a set of linked nodes.
Updated: 3rd October 2019