What is a toner cartridge used for?
A toner cartridge, also called laser toner, is the consumable component of a laser printer. Toner cartridges contain toner powder, a fine, dry mixture of plastic particles, carbon, and black or other coloring agents that make the actual image on the paper.
It makes a laser beam scan back and forth across a drum inside the printer, building up a pattern of static electricity. The static electricity attracts onto the page a kind of powdered ink called toner. Finally, as in a photocopier, a fuser unit bonds the toner to the paper.
- In contrast to the liquid printer ink, toner is made from solid particles. These particles are melted to the page with the heat and pressure of a fuser. In the early days of laser printing, toner was made of simple carbon powder.
- Inkjet printers use liquid ink sprayed through microscopic nozzles onto the paper, and laser printers use a toner cartridge (filled with fine powder) and a heated fuser. Each technology has its own strengths and weaknesses.
- A laser printer is a popular type of personal computer printer that uses a non-impact (keys don't strike the paper), photocopier technology. When a document is sent to the printer, a laser beam "draws" the document on a selenium-coated drum using electrical charges.
Most importantly, toner cartridges are meant for laser printers, and not surprisingly, ink cartridges are designed for inkjet printers. Ink is a liquid form of pigmentation, while toner is a fine powder. Each plays a very different role in the printing process.
- A toner cartridge, also called laser toner, is the consumable component of a laser printer. Toner cartridges contain toner powder, a fine, dry mixture of plastic particles, carbon, and black or other coloring agents that make the actual image on the paper.
- Ink toner is not toxic. However, any dust exposure can have ill effects if sufficient quantities are contacted directly by sensitive organs. Eyes should be flushed with clean water in the event that ink toner directly contacts the eyes. Other skin contact should be cleaned with soap and water.
- Waste toner bottles will look something like this one from Canon. Though a waste toner bottle is not needed in every printer, it serves an important purpose for many laser machines. The toner is pulled from the cartridge and adheres to a roller, known as an imaging drum.
Updated: 28th November 2019