What is a Ping used for?
ping (networking utility) Ping is a computer network administration software utility used to test the reachability of a host on an Internet Protocol (IP) network. It measures the round-trip time for messages sent from the originating host to a destination computer that are echoed back to the source.
Ping is a networking utility program or a tool to test if a particular host is reachable. It is a diagnostic that checks if your computer is connected to a server. Ping, a term taken from the echo location of a submarine, sends data packet to a server and if it receives a data packet back, then you have a connection.
- WhatsApp now allows you to ping someone even through a muted group chat. Tagging your friend this way makes them get a notification of your message on their phones, even in a group chat that they've muted.
- ARP Basics. If the IP address is not found in the ARP table, the system will then send a broadcast packet to the network using the ARP protocol to ask "who has 192.168.1.1". Because it is a broadcast packet, it is sent to a special MAC address that causes all machines on the network to receive it.
- Press the Windows Button to pull up Start.
- Begin typing: cmd.
- Start will pull up the "app" Command Prompt.
- Click on the icon to open the program (a black box will appear)
- Type in: ping -t 220.127.116.11 and press Enter.
The ping command is a Command Prompt command used to test the ability of the source computer to reach a specified destination computer. The ping command operates by sending Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Echo Request messages to the destination computer and waiting for a response.
- According to Wikipedia ping , the IP network utility, was named after the sonar "ping", which is apparently onomatopoeic. However, "ping" is now used in the vernacular in the sense of "pinging" someone via (usually) electronic communication to request acknowledgement of a message.
- Ipconfig (sometimes written as IPCONFIG) is a command line tool used to control the network connections on Windows NT/2000/XP machines. Ipconfig displays all current TCP/IP network configuration values and refreshes Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and Domain Name System (DNS) settings.
- @tanador7: Ping is a simple echo protocol. In general though I would go with these rules of thumb: less than 50ms ping is really good, less than 100ms ping is good to average, 150ms is where you are going to start having problems with games, and above 150 ms ping you may experience lag and such in games.
The PING utility is a system administrator's tool that is used to see if a computer is operating and also to see if network connections are intact. Ping uses the Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Echo function which is detailed in RFC 792. A small packet is sent through the network to a particular IP address.
- There are two ways a cellular network provider can locate a phone connected to their network, either through pinging or triangulation. To ping in this context means to send a signal to a particular cell phone and have it respond with the requested data.
- Click Start > Run then in the Open: field, enter “command” or “cmd”, then click OK. Step 2: On the Command Prompt window, type "ping 192.168.1.1 –t" or the IP Address of the wireless router then press [Enter]. NOTE: If you get a different response, refer to the list of common responses below for the description.
- Go to the desktop of Windows 10.Right-click on the Start button (see screenshot to the left). You can also bring up the Run window by pressing "Windows / r" on your keyboard. The command window appears. To ping a website, at the command prompt, type "ping website.com" and press enter on your keyboard.
Updated: 18th September 2018