What is a pharmacist title abbreviation?
A credential is documented evidence of a pharmacist's qualifications. These credentials are reflected in a variety of abbreviations that pharmacists place after their names (e.g., Pharm.D. for "doctor of pharmacy," an earned academic degree; R.Ph.
Summary: Pharmacy Abbreviation. There are two common abbreviations of pharmacy: phar. and Rx. If you want to make pharm.
- Often the abbreviation "sig" will appear just before the directions on the prescription. "Sig" is short for the Latin, signetur, or "let it be labeled."
- Medical Abbreviations
Abbreviation Interpretation BS bowel or breath sounds BUN blood urea nitrogen BW body weight BX biopsy
- CPhT is the abbreviation for Certified Pharmacy Technician. The CPhT works directly under a pharmacist, R.Ph or a PharmD.
Doctor of Pharmacy. A Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.; New Latin Pharmaciae Doctor) is a professional doctorate in pharmacy. In some countries, it is a first professional degree, and a prerequisite for licensing to exercise the profession of pharmacist.
- New Professional Degrees have come up, eg Doctor of Nursing Practice, Doctor of Physical Therapy, etc. and they are also called as Doctors, if they choose so, and you do not need a law for that. Similarly at a Hospital Doctor would usually mean a Physician or Surgeon or a Pharmacist.
- A credential is documented evidence of a pharmacist's qualifications. These credentials are reflected in a variety of abbreviations that pharmacists place after their names (e.g., Pharm.D. for "doctor of pharmacy," an earned academic degree; R.Ph.
- Most stand-alone Pharm.D. programs take four years to complete. If you complete a bachelor's degree before entering your program, it will take eight years to become a pharmacist, but if you enter a program after two or three years of undergraduate study, you can start practicing sooner.
BSPharm, MSPharm, & PharmD are degrees, not registration credentials. A registered pharmacist with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree signs as; "Jane Smith, PharmD, RPh". A degree awarded by a university does not indicate registration. Any person with a BS, MS, or PharmD must be registered to practice in the US.
- D.Pharm means Diploma in Pharmacy. In India, students can study this education course after successfully completing Standard Twelve in science stream with Physics, Chemistry and either Biology as subjects. The person who has completed D.Pharm can be employed as pharmacist in shops selling medicine (Pharmacy).
- Table: Common Medical and Prescription Abbreviations
Abbreviation Meaning / Intended Meaning Category DW dextrose in water, diabetes mellitus or distilled water other EC enteric-coated drug release technology EENT Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Medical Specialty elix. elixir dosage form
- A prescription drug (also prescription medication or prescription medicine) is a pharmaceutical drug that legally requires a medical prescription to be dispensed. In contrast, over-the-counter drugs can be obtained without a prescription.
Updated: 17th October 2019