What is a normal triathlon distance?
The order of triathlons is generally swim/bike/run. The most common triathlon distance follows international Olympic guidelines: A swim of 0.93 miles (1.5 kilometers), a bicycle route of 24.8 miles (40 kilometers) and a run of 6.2 miles (10 kilometers).
|Sprint||0.5mi (750m)||3.1mi (5km)|
|Olympic / 5150||0.93mi (1.5km)||6.2mi (10km)|
|ITU Long||1.86mi (3km)||12.4mi (20km)|
|Half / 70.3||1.2mi (1.9km)||13.1mi (21.09km)|
- 1 length = 50 meters.
2 lengths = 100 meters.
¼ mile = about 400 meters = 8 lengths.
½ mile = about 800 meters = 16 lengths.
- Distance. An average lap swimmer exercising at a moderate pace completes 100 meters in about 2 minutes, so swimming 1,000 meters would take you about 2 X 10, or 20 minutes, if you maintained that speed.
- Swimming burns calories, so helps you lose weight and swimming for weight loss has been regularly praised for its cardiovascular health benefits, especially for older people. This means that swimming will give your cardiovascular system an excellent workout.
How long does it take to finish an International Distance Triathlon? The answer, based on our analysis of more than 75 triathlons: about 3 hours, on average. Swim 1.5k in 40 minutes, Bike 40k in an hour and 20 minutes, and Run 10k in one hour.
- 1 mile = 1760 yards = 35 laps.
1.2 miles = 2112 yards = 42 laps.
2.4 miles = 4224 yards = 85 laps.
(Laps rounded to the closest full lap)
- Olympic triathlons (including the NYC Triathlon) involve a 1.5-kilometer swim, 40-kilometer bike ride and 10-kilometer run. In "Iron Man" triathlons, the swimming portion can be as long as 3.9 kilometers, followed by up to a 180-kilometer bike ride and a 42.2-kilometer run (the same distance as a marathon).
- This is what you need to do: 25 Yard Pool: 1760 yards is 70.4 lengths. 50 Meter Pool: 1610 meters is 32.2 lengths. 25 Meter Pool: 1610 meters is 64.4 lengths.
2.4 miles or 3,800 meters is a long time to be swimming. The average age-group swimmer takes roughly eighty minutes to swim this distance without stopping. And of course you're going to follow that with a bike ride and full marathon run.
- The answer, based on our analysis of more than 67,000 finishers in 40 Half Ironman triathlons: about 6 hours, on average. Swim 1.2 miles in 45 minutes, Bike 56 miles in 3:00, and Run 13.1 miles in 2:15. Of course, there's a great deal of variation by age group.
- In terms of average marathon times, the median marathon finishing time in 2016 for men in U.S. marathons was 4:22:07 (9:59 minutes per mile pace), according to Running USA. The median finishing time for women was 4:47:40 (10:58 minutes per mile pace).
- Use Our Calculations and Get Back to Training
Definition of a mile (in yards or meters) # of laps of a 25 yard or 25 meter pool in one mile # of laps of a 50 yard or 50 meter pool in one mile 1500 60 30 1650 66 33 1760 70.4 35.2
Updated: 23rd September 2018