What is a MOV file format?
A MOV file is a common multimedia container file format developed by Apple and compatible with both Macintosh and Windows platforms. It may contain multiple tracks that store different types of media data and is often used for saving movies and other video files. MOV files commonly use the MPEG-4 codec for compression.
Other file formats that QuickTime supports natively (to varying degrees) include AIFF, WAV, DV-DIF, MP3, and MPEG program stream. With additional QuickTime Components, it can also support ASF, DivX Media Format, Flash Video, Matroska, Ogg, and many others.
- Don't confuse this special movie file format with other files that are simply QuickTime-compatible formats. Examples of QuickTime-compatible file formats include AIFF, MP3, MPEG, WAVE, JPEG, and TIFF, just to name a few. A QuickTime movie file uses a .mov file extension.
- Apple QuickTime is the recommended media player for .DV and .MOV files, however, is also capable of playing .AVI and .FLC files. To open Apple QuickTime in Microsoft Windows follow the steps below. Go to Programs, QuickTime, and click QuickTime Player. If QuickTime is not found it is not installed on your computer.
- The latest version is QuickTime X (10.6) and is available on Mac OS X v10.6.3 Snow Leopard or later. VLC player supports all the video and audio streams including MP4. You need not to install any codecs or filters to play .mp4 files.
QuickTime File Format
|Filename extension||.mov, .qt|
|Developed by||Apple Inc.|
|Type of format||Media container|
|Container for||Audio, video, text|
|Extended to||MPEG-4 Part 12|
- Movie (QuickTime for Microsoft Windows) MOV is an MPEG 4 video container file format used in Apple's Quicktime program. MOV files use Apple's proprietary compression algorithm. Apple introduced the MOV file format in 1998.
- Windows Media Video
- QuickTime File Format
Filename extension .mov, .qt Developed by Apple Inc. Type of format Media container Container for Audio, video, text Extended to MPEG-4 Part 12
Container for. Audio, video (H.264, AAC, and Dolby Digital) Extended from. iTunes video format. The M4V file format is a video container format developed by Apple and is very similar to the MP4 format.
- M4B is a file extension for an MPEG-4 part 14 audio layer audio book container file format used by iTunes. An M4B file is very similar to an M4A file but specified for audio books. M4B files support metadata for chapters and bookmarking on supporting players and most commonly uses AAC (Advanced Audio Codec).
- Once downloaded, simply right-click on the AVI file you want to play and select “open with > VLC player” and the file will play in VLC rather than Quicktime. If the file you want to play is short, another option is to use an online video converter to covert the AVI file to a MOV one that can be played by Quicktime.
- YouTube supports MOV, MPEG4, MP4, AVI, WMV, MPEGPS, FLV, 3GPP, WebM. So you can know that M4V videos are not included in the formats supported by YouTube. In order to upload DRM and DRM-free M4V videos to YouTube, you can use iTunes Video Converter Mac to remove DRM and convert them to MP4 at the same time.
Updated: 16th October 2019