What is a mineral simple definition?
Minerals are substances that are formed naturally in the Earth. Minerals are usually solid, inorganic, have a crystal structure, and form naturally by geological processes. The study of minerals is called mineralogy. A mineral can be made of single chemical element or more usually a compound.
Minerals are solid substances that occur naturally. They can be made from a single element (like gold or copper) or from a combination of elements. The Earth is made up of thousands of different minerals.
- Answer and Explanation: The uneven breakage of a mineral is called fracture. Some minerals break evenly and cleanly along a specific plane of the crystal. This is called cleavage.
- Minerals can be found throughout the world in the earth's crust but usually in such small amounts that they not worth extracting. Only with the help of certain geological processes are minerals concentrated into economically viable deposits. Mineral deposits can only be extracted where they are found.
- Buildings use a wide range of minerals:
- iron (as steel) in the framework of large building,
- clay in bricks and roofing tiles,
- slate for roofing tiles,
- shale and gypsum in cement,
- gypsum in plaster,
- silica sand in window glass,
A mineral may be defined as any naturally occurring inorganic solid that has a definite chemical composition (that can vary only within specified limits) and possesses a crystalline structure. The study of minerals is known as mineralogy, which dates back to prehistory.
- Minerals are made up of chemical elements. A chemical element is a substance that is made up of only one kind of atom. Have you heard of oxygen, hydrogen, iron, aluminium, gold and copper? These are all chemical elements.
- Native element minerals are those elements that occur in nature in uncombined form with a distinct mineral structure. The elemental class includes metals and intermetallic elements, naturally occurring alloys, semi-metals and non-metals.
- A mineral is a naturally occurring inorganic solid, with a definite chemical composition, and an ordered atomic arrangement. This may seem a bit of a mouthful, but if you break it down it becomes simpler. Minerals are naturally occurring. They are not made by humans. Minerals are inorganic.
Updated: 6th October 2019