What is a job as a controller?
Basic Function: The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the
License and Certification. The Certified Public Accountant (CPA) credential is commonly required for CONTROLLER positions. Requirements for a CPA differ by state, but majority require a minimum of 150 semester hours of undergraduate education, which is usually around 30 credits more than a bachelor's degree.
- They do the work that helps the company's owner, manager or board of directors make decisions. They might also create and maintain a company's financial system and supervise its bookkeepers and data processors. Further, management accountants may have an area of expertise, such as taxes or budgeting.
- A Management Accountant earns an average salary of $59,522 per year. Pay for this job rises steadily for more experienced workers, but goes down noticeably for the few employees with more than 20 years' experience. A skill in General Ledger Accounting is associated with high pay for this job.
- Responsibilities of the job include:
- preparing reports, budgets, commentaries and financial statements.
- undertaking financial administration and internal audits.
- liaising with managerial staff and other colleagues.
- supervising a team of accounting technicians.
- developing and managing financial systems/policies.
Average Salary. Accounting professionals who make it to the controller position enjoy above-average salaries. As of 2015, the median annual income for a controller is $75,698. However, this is just the median number, and among the 50% who make more than this, many make a lot more.
- A comptroller may go by a number of titles: financial controller, chief accounting officer or financial control officer. The comptroller is in charge of overseeing the daily accounting operations of a business. In a small business, the comptroller may be responsible for doing all the accounting tasks for the business.
- Treasurer Salaries. What is the average annual salary for Treasurer? How much does a Treasurer make? The median annual Treasurer salary is $195,823, as of May 30, 2018, with a range usually between $158,359-$241,522, however this can vary widely depending on a variety of factors.
- Controller Job Duties: Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures. Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls. Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
The controller and comptroller titles refer to the same position, which is the person responsible for all accounting operations of a business. The controller title is more frequently found in for-profit businesses, while the comptroller title is more commonly found in governmental and non-profit organizations.
- According to Glassdoor, the average comptroller salary is $68,500 per year with the lowest paid professionals earning $42,000 and the highest paid in the field earning $118,000.
- A controller, in a computing context, is a hardware device or a software program that manages or directs the flow of data between two entities. In computing, controllers may be cards, microchips or separate hardware devices for the control of a peripheral device.
- A financial controller is a senior-level executive who acts as the head of accounting, and oversees the preparation of financial reports, such as balance sheets and income statements.
Updated: 2nd October 2019