What is a DMG file used for?
A DMG file is a mountable disk image created in Mac OS X. It contains raw block data typically compressed and sometimes encrypted. DMG files are commonly used for OS X software installers that are downloaded from the Internet and mounts a virtual disk on the desktop when opened.
Even though TransMac can open and extract files from a dmg image, only certain data files (image, video, text, html, sound, etc.) will be usable on a PC. Windows is not be able to install or run Mac software.
- To install from a .dmg file you usually do the following:
- double click the .dmg to make its content available (name will show up in the Finder sidebar), usually a window opens showing the content as well.
- drag the application from the .dmg window into /Applications to install (may need an administrator password)
- S.Q. refers to Salon Qualitairy. Quality determined by the house. A more direct translation is "subject to quotation" due to the practice of weighing certain foods such as shellfish.
- Pannell Kerr Forster
You can extract, or open, the DMG file in Windows using one of the programs I mention below, but you can't actually execute the program and use it like you would another Windows application. To use the same program in Windows, you need to download the Windows version, not the Mac DMG version.
- For the vast majority of purposes and for most user levels, this is adequate to list what apps are on a Mac:
- From the OS X Finder, hit Command+Shift+A to jump to the /Applications folder.
- Pull down the View menu and choose “List” to scroll through an easy to read list of all apps in the Applications folder.
- 1. Double-click the application file you've downloaded from the Internet. If you get an error message that says the program "can't be opened because it wasn't downloaded from the Mac App Store," right-click the downloaded file and select Open. Mac installation files are named .dmg, .pkg, or .zip.
- Insert your CD into your Mac's CD/DVD drive or double-click your TurboTax download's .dmg file, which will mount a virtual drive on your desktop. The drive should automatically open. Follow the directions in the pop-up window to drag the red TurboTax "checkmark" icon to the Applications folder in the pop-up window.
simsaladimbamba Guest. You can delete the DMG after you properly installed the application you wanted to install. In order to delete the DMG, you have to eject it first. Btw, an .exe file is an executable file, thus it can be an application, an installer or even a compressed archive (but for Windows).
- Here we will show you how to open the zip file you just got sent by e-mail, using WinZip.
- Install the WinZip application on your computer.
- Download any zipped files you receive as an e-mail attachment in the usual way.
- Double click on the file icon.
- Double click on the file that you want to open.
- The file will open.
- How to compress attachments while composing messages
- Open the dialog box you normally use to attach files.
- Locate the file you wish to attach.
- Right click the file and choose Add to filename.zip from the WinZip context menu.
- Click the new Zip file to select it.
- Click Open or Insert to attach the Zip file.
- Copy all the files you wish to attach to your email into the folder. Before proceeding to the next step, look over the contents of the folder to ensure that no attachments are missing. Right click the folder and select "Send To." Next, select the "Compressed (zipped) folder" option.
Updated: 2nd October 2019