What is a byte in a computer?
Abbreviation for binary term, a unit of storage capable of holding a single character. On almost all modern computers, a byte is equal to 8 bits. Large amounts of memory are indicated in terms of kilobytes (1,024 bytes), megabytes (1,048,576 bytes), and gigabytes (1,073,741,824 bytes).
Byte. The byte (/ba?t/) is a unit of digital information that most commonly consists of eight bits. Historically, the byte was the number of bits used to encode a single character of text in a computer and for this reason it is the smallest addressable unit of memory in many computer architectures.
- How Many Bits Are in a Bitcoin? There are 1 million bits in 1 bitcoin. The term “bit” is a popular new unit being used to represent smaller Bitcoin amounts. Due to the rising value of 1 bitcoin (currently 1 BTC = $450 USD), many prices must be displayed in fractional bitcoin amounts.
- Actually no, there's a big difference between a bit and a byte. A byte is much bigger — eight times bigger, to be exact, with eight bits in every byte. By extension, there are eight megabits in every megabyte, and one gigabyte is eight times bigger than one gigabit.
- A binary digit can be find out what is the full meaning of bits on abbreviations ! 'background intelligent transfer service' one option get in to view more @ web's largest and most authoritative couldn't form or bits? Explanation bit short bit, basic information unit (sometimes as bit) built test name details.
In the United States, the bit is equal to one eighth of a dollar or ?12 1⁄2 cents. In the U.S., the "bit" as a designation for money dates from the colonial period, when the most common unit of currency used was the Spanish dollar, also known as "piece of eight", which was worth 8 Spanish silver reales.
- A transaction is a transfer of value between Bitcoin wallets that gets included in the block chain. Bitcoin wallets keep a secret piece of data called a private key or seed, which is used to sign transactions, providing a mathematical proof that they have come from the owner of the wallet.
- Answer: Two bits is commonly understood in America to be one quarter. The word “bit” long meant, in England, any coin of a low denomination. In early America, “bit” was used for some Spanish and Mexican coins that circulated and were worth one-eighth of a peso, or about 12 and one-half cents.
- Byte. The byte (/ba?t/) is a unit of digital information that most commonly consists of eight bits. Historically, the byte was the number of bits used to encode a single character of text in a computer and for this reason it is the smallest addressable unit of memory in many computer architectures.
Answer: Bits and Bytes both measure amounts of data. However, they are typically used in two different contexts. Bits, kilobits (Kbps), and megabits (Mbps) are most often used to measure data transfer speeds. The other important difference is that bytes contain eight bits of data.
- In most computer systems, a byte is a unit of data that is eight binary digits long. A byte is the unit most computers use to represent a character such as a letter, number or typographic symbol.
- A bit (short for binary digit) is the smallest unit of data in a computer. A bit has a single binary value, either 0 or 1. Although computers usually provide instructions that can test and manipulate bits, they generally are designed to store data and execute instructions in bit multiples called bytes.
- Computer file sizes: Largest - Gigabyte (GB) Larger - Megabyte (MB) Large - Kilobyte (KB)
Updated: 18th September 2018