What is 650 fill down?
These numbers are a reference to the quality of the down insulation used. The number is actually a volume — the amount of cubic inches one ounce of down occupies. However, a jacket may have eight ounces of 850 fill down and yet be of similar warmth to a jacket with twelve ounces of 650 fill down.
Fill power is a measure of the loft or "fluffiness" of a down product that is loosely related to the insulating value of the down. The higher the fill power the more air an ounce of the down can trap, and thus the more insulating ability an ounce of the down will have.
- However, in some situations, a high quality duck down can be better than a mediocre goose down. Goose clusters are generally larger than duck clusters and typically come from older, larger birds. As a result, their down tends to produce higher fill powers, be more resilient and durable than duck down.
- When selecting a feather & down product, it is important to note that there is a significant warmth difference between goose down and duck down. Geese are larger birds than ducks and generally have bigger down clusters. Their filaments are therefore able to trap more air and provide more insulation.
- Comforter prices range widely, from about $80 for a queen-size comforter filled with duck down to over $850 for one filled with top-of-the-line white goose down.
A down jacket is a jacket which has been insulated with the soft and warm under feathers from duck or geese. Down is a fantastic insulator as the loft (or fluffiness) of down creates thousands of tiny air pockets which trap warm air and retain heat, thus keeping the wearer very warm.
- A heatseeker is a type of missile guided by infrared homing. Heatseeker may also refer to: "Heatseeker" (song), a song by AC/DC. Heatseeker (video game), a 2007 jet fighter game. Top Heatseekers, Billboard song and album charts for new and developing acts.
- The material is a matted piece of insulation that allows you to remove the bulk out of jackets. But Thinsulate fibers are finer than those used in other synthetic and natural insulation materials‚ so they trap more air in less space, making it a more efficient insulator.
- Thinsulate is a brand of synthetic fiber thermal insulation used in clothing. The word is a portmanteau of the words thin and insulate. The material is made by the 3M Corporation, and was first sold in 1979.
Updated: 22nd August 2018