What herbs and spices go in a beef stew?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano.
- 1 tablespoon dried basil.
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary.
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley.
- 1 tablespoon salt.
- 2 tablespoons black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons paprika.
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 3 cups mixed mushrooms, thickly sliced.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons marjoram, fresh, chopped.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme, fresh, chopped.
- 4. Not cooking the stew long enough. Chuck meat is your best bet for beef stew, but it's also a pretty tough cut so it needs time to break down and become tender. Rush the cooking process and the beef will be tough and chewy.
- The heat is dry heat that surrounds the crock, not wet heat, or steam. Follow a recipe for cooking your meal in the crock put, preheat if needed, set the temperature, put all the food in the crock, set it in and let it cook. No water is added to the crock pot itself, just in the recipe.
- Place silverside into the bowl of a 5 litre slow-cooker. Add herbs, garlic, onion, celery, pumpkin, potatoes, carrot, vinegar, water and peppercorns. Cover with lid. Cook for 8 hours or until silverside is tender.
Ingredients Serves: 6
- 1 lean boned beef rib joint, about 900g (2lb), rolled and tied.
- good pinch of freshly ground black pepper.
- 40g (1 1/2oz) fresh herbs, such as parsley, basil, sage, rosemary, thyme and chives, or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs.
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- When hot, sear roast on all sides, until nicely caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove roast to a sheet tray lined with a wire rack. Meanwhile, place garlic, parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary, mustard powder, 1/2 cup oil, salt and pepper, to taste, in a food processor and pulse until mixture forms a paste.
- Roast Beef with Fresh Herbs
- 1 boneless sirloin roast or prime rib roast, about 3.3 pounds.
- ¼ cup olive oil.
- Handful of fresh basil.
- Handful of fresh parsley.
- Handful fresh mint.
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary.
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme.
- 1-2 garlic cloves.
- Place roast in pan, and season with salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Add more or less seasonings to taste. Roast in oven for 60 minutes (20 minutes per pound). Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
Updated: 4th December 2019