What formats does audacity accept?
You can install the optional FFmpeg library to import and export a much larger range of audio formats including AC3, AMR(NB), M4A, MP4 and WMA (on Mac only, Audacity can import unprotected M4A, MP4 and MOV files without FFmpeg). Audio files that are DRM-protected to work only in particular software cannot be imported.
Convert an MP4 video file to an MP3 audio file using Audacity. You can easily convert videos to audio tracks by using Audacity. First, make sure you've downloaded Audacity and followed the instructions to download the LAME and FFmpeg libraries. Now, select the video you want to open and open it in Audacity.
- Audio File Formats Supported by Audacity. The audio formats importable by Audacity as shipped are: Uncompressed audio formats: most WAV and AIFF files including all PCM variants.
- Audacity can import many common audio file formats, including WAV, AIFF, and MP3. If the optional FFmpeg library is installed, a larger range of formats, including WMA and the audio content of most video files, can be imported. Audacity cannot import copy-protected music files.
- The basic way of transferring music is by manually copying your iTunes music files into a temporary folder on your PC (or just transferring them directly from your iTunes library folders. Then one can simply connect any Android phone to the computer using a USB cable and open the phone's music folder.
Importing M4A (AAC) and MP4 files. M4A and MP4 files can be imported into Audacity on Mac as shipped. On Windows and GNU/Linux you need to download and install the optional FFmpeg library. See the Windows or Linux instructions.
- How to convert M4A files to MP3 using iTunes (Windows/MacOS)
- Step 1: Open import settings. Click the “Edit” menu item and select “Preferences”.
- Step 2: Adjust import settings. Click the drop-down to the right of “Import Using” and select “MP3 Encoder.”
- Step 3: Convert.
- To perform direct audio conversion from one audio format to another, take the following steps:
- Start Total Recorder.
- From the File menu, select Open, and then select the file you want to convert.
- From the File menu, select Save As:
- Type the desired file name.
- Click the Change button.
- Since the stock iOS audio recording app is Voice Memos, here are instructions on how to convert a voice memo recording into a ringtone. Start by recording the voice memo you wish to convert to a ringtone. Limit the voice memo to a length of 40 seconds or less, otherwise iTunes will not sync this ringtone to the iPhone.
Launch iTunes and click the arrow on the upper left corner of the user interface. Then you enter to “Import Using”, click “WAV Encoder” and press the “OK” button. Select M4A files to be converted, click the right button and select “Create WAV version”. Then just wait for conversion completing.
- WAV is a file extension for an audio file format created by Microsoft. The WAV file has become a standard PC audio file format for everything from system and game sounds to CD-quality audio. Also referred to as pulse code modulation (PCM) or waveform audio, a WAV file is uncompressed audio.
- 5 STEPS TO CONVERT WMA TO MP3
- Start by downloading your WMA files to your computer and saving them to your RealPlayer library.
- Open RealPlayer and select Music from the Library.
- Once you have selected the file you want, click on it and then select More from the pop-up menu.
- On your Mac or PC
- Open iTunes.
- From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose Account > View My Account.
- Authenticate your Apple ID, then click View Account.
- On the Account Information page, scroll down to Purchase History.
Updated: 2nd October 2019