What foods should be avoided when taking eliquis?
Avoid foods high in Vitamin K, e.g. large amounts of leafy green vegetables and some vegetable oils. May need to avoid alcohol, cranberry juice, and products containing cranberries.
Foods to limit while taking warfarin
- Brussels sprouts.
- Collard greens.
- Mustard greens.
- Red cabbage.
- 5 Things to Avoid When Taking Blood Thinners
- Foods Rich in Vitamin K. Specifically for individuals taking the blood thinner warfarin (Coumadin), vitamin K-rich foods like spinach, brussels sprouts, kale and even green tea can counteract the drug's effectiveness.
- Contact Sports.
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS)
- Grapefruit Juice.
- The newer medications are Pradaxa (dabigatran), Xarelto (rivaroxaban), Eliquis (apixaban), and most recently Savaysa (edoxaban) — which work by preventing pooled blood in the heart from clotting. Unlike warfarin, the newer drugs are safer and easier for patients to use.
- Carrots, cauliflower, green beans, lettuce, red and green peppers, and tomatoes have slightly higher amounts of vitamin K, ranging from 13 to 16 micrograms in a one-cup serving.
Updated: 2nd October 2019