What foods affect blood thinners?
Foods to limit while taking warfarin
- Brussels sprouts.
- Collard greens.
- Mustard greens.
- Red cabbage.
Avoid foods high in Vitamin K, e.g. large amounts of leafy green vegetables and some vegetable oils. May need to avoid alcohol, cranberry juice, and products containing cranberries.
- Tell your doctor immediately if you experience any of the symptoms listed in the Eliquis Warnings section above, or the following serious side effects:
- Easy bruising.
- Unusual bleeding or bleeding that won't stop, including nosebleeds and bleeding gums.
- Heavy menstrual periods.
- Pink, brown, or red urine.
- The new generation includes medications called Xarelto, Eliquis and Pradaxa. An estimated 250,000 Australians are on, or have taken, blood thinners. But with the newer drugs, only Pradaxa has an available antidote to stop patients from bleeding.
- There are a variety of vegetables that contain lower amounts of vitamin K. These include:
- Sweet potatoes.
- Squash (both summer and winter).
Updated: 2nd October 2019